Replacing suspension trunnions

Having dismantled the front suspension on my TR3A I'm trying to re-assemble the trunnions. New steel bushed will press into the end of the lower wishbone arms but are fairly tight. The trunnion spigots however will not fit into the bushes once there in place. The whole assembly seems to be just to tight a fit. I'm tempted to ream out the hole in he lower wishbone a little. Does anyone have any experience of fitting new trunnions and what the various measurements for the lower wishbone hole etc should be, and how tight a fit it should be? Thanks in anticipation.

Phil

Phil

I think the bushes should be  pressed into the wishbone and then reamed out to a good fit.

I replaced mine a year or so ago and the bushes were different from the bushes I used previously as they did not need a great deal of reaming.

Ewan

They are designed to be reamed to fit.

'Oilite' bushes are offered and used as direct replacements for the original steel backed bushes.  The 'Oilite' bushes I have used did not require reaming to size.  They do need a greaser/oiler hole drilling radially to align with the grease nipple in the outer arm.  The steel backed bush 101615 is not as expensive as the 'Oilite' item.

https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/?catid=2567&display=&orderby=&att1=5%2F8inch&att2=3%2F4inch&att3=1inch

Peter W

Phil,  reaming the bushes is normal, use an adjustable parallel reamer if you can. You may want to check the diameter of the mating pin to ensure it is not over-size, the last set of new trunnions I bought were dimensionally challenged!

Cheers, Mike