Driving lights installed in front grille

You would have to ask Mike 3739 how he had them done as thats his car..

Stuart.

I have always liked these,:wub:

When I was looking for my 6, my first trip to the IWE i saw this car, took some pics and had it as screen saver on my work PC.

I met the owner Mike , the really mad thing was he only lived 5 miles away from me can't believe that was 10 years ago.

Wheres that gone :D

Edited by Clarkey
2 hours ago, Clarkey said:

I have always like these,:wub:

When I was looking for my 6, my first trip to the IWE i saw this car, took some pics and had it as screen saver on my work PC.

I met the owner Mike , the really mad thing was he only lived 5 miles away from me can't believe that was 10 years ago.

Wheres that gone :D

Bloody hell mate, don't tell him that - his ego is larger than life as it is! :lol::lol:

Cheers, Andrew

Thats very smart looking Pinky, where did you source the grill.

Paul

53 minutes ago, pinky said:

Got the idea of  Mike put my own touch to them  just finished the job, 

Pink

20190310_154025.jpg

Great Paul looks superb.

Do you think it would look s good with a "Towel Rail instead of bumpers"

Cheers

Mike

On 3/7/2019 at 7:16 PM, Andrew Smith said:

Bloody hell mate, don't tell him that - his ego is larger than life as it is! :lol::lol:

Cheers, Andrew

Thats the second person I know who had my car as a screen saver long live "Mr Bling's mods"

Imitation is Flattery

Cheers

Mike

On 3/11/2019 at 8:30 PM, pinky said:

Got the idea of  Mike put my own touch to them  just finished the job, 

Pink

20190310_154025.jpg

Nice job Indeed Pinky.

3 hours ago, astontr6 said:

A very good job done! But what size alternator are you using to illuminate all those units as a15 ACR would be overloaded?

Bruce.

I'm using a 60 amp, there al  HD lights so once they are lit the power drops of, so I believe 

On 3/11/2019 at 8:34 PM, Paul J said:

Thats very smart looking Pinky, where did you source the grill.

Paul

General legislative guidance on aftermarket HID Headlamps

In the Department for Transport’s (DfT) view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID “burner” (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

The legal rationale

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK. Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply with European type approval regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These approvals relate to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (lighting installation on the vehicle).

For the aftermarket, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because this only applies to new vehicles. However DfT does not think it reasonable simply to ban HID in the aftermarket. Instead the Department makes analogies with new vehicles. It seems reasonable to require HID in the aftermarket to meet the same safety standards as those for new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

HID headlamp unit requirements

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the aftermarket should:

be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component

when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place)

comply with RVLR as far as “use” is concerned

In practice this means:

the headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be “e-marked” to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. - who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory

once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have “self-levelling suspension” and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam

the headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly in the same way as any other headlamp

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary: it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/aftermarket-hid-headlamps/aftermarket-hid-headlamps

On 3/16/2019 at 8:30 PM, Bill944T said:

General legislative guidance on aftermarket HID Headlamps

In the Department for Transport’s (DfT) view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID “burner” (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

The legal rationale

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK. Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply with European type approval regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These approvals relate to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (lighting installation on the vehicle).

For the aftermarket, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because this only applies to new vehicles. However DfT does not think it reasonable simply to ban HID in the aftermarket. Instead the Department makes analogies with new vehicles. It seems reasonable to require HID in the aftermarket to meet the same safety standards as those for new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

HID headlamp unit requirements

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the aftermarket should:

be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component

when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place)

comply with RVLR as far as “use” is concerned

In practice this means:

the headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be “e-marked” to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. - who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory

once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have “self-levelling suspension” and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam

the headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly in the same way as any other headlamp

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary: it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/aftermarket-hid-headlamps/aftermarket-hid-headlamps

Yes you are correct, but so over the top & has been on this forum sooooooo many times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had mine now for at least 8 years never had an issue here or France passes MOT again no issues.

Being legal is good to hear, like I am sure nobody in a TR never exceeds the speed limit or is anyone going to admit to.

Cheers

Mike

Some vehicles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected.

Section 4 p7 half way down:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/671818/mot-inspection-manual-for-classes-3-4-5-and-7-from-20-may-2018-draft.pdf

The law is sometimes a compromise, common sense can therefore be the best solution, and people with common sense will make the solution best fit for purpose.

11 hours ago, Bill944T said:

Some vehicles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected.

Section 4 p7 half way down:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/671818/mot-inspection-manual-for-classes-3-4-5-and-7-from-20-may-2018-draft.pdf

Really bored now not interested!!:o

Mike