Post Brexit Continental Travel

Not sure this is best place to post, no activity since November! However, attached guidance from FBHVC is helpful, with plenty of food for thought. Hopefully all will be come clearer after 29th of this month!

Tim

FBHVC Press Release 05.03.2019 Brexit Checklist.docx

I sincerely hope that we in the UK begin insisting on comparable measures - it needs to be a 2 way street and, given the numbers of tourists who will continue to visit the UK post Brexit, we can make a few quid out of driver permits, enforcing country plates etc.

Tom,

You are so right about Margret Thatcher.

What surprises me is that the countries of the EU apparently may not see UK tourists as a benefit to their economies and might consider putting obstacles in the way of tourists. I can imagine that Turkey, Morocco, Tunisia wherever cannot wait for the rush of UK tourists shunned by the EU.

In all the rhetoric regarding post Brexit shortages I have seen no comment on the Irish exports, much of which is on trucks ferried over the Irish sea and then heads for Dover, no doubt destined to join the large queues, are the Irish stockpiling?    Project Fear knows no bounds! 

It's an ill wind.....

Alan

Getting the thread back on topic: thank you Tim a very useful post and info. Fortunately the TR continental driving season does not get fully underway until mid May with the Spa Classic so we should understand where we are before then, he says hopefully.

I have had a number of questions from members planning to travel across the channel in both directions this summer and so far, there is no clear answer for anybody. One member from Belgium was considering not visiting the UK this year due to the uncertainty. Let's hope it does not effect the large numbers of International members attending the International this year. 

Mick

Hey there,

you nice bunch of TR-ers: you are always welcome in the great country of The Netherlands!

We tend to generalize and even worse, polarize. Not needed.

Cheers,

Waldi

Well, our planned three week/3,500 mile+ trip to Northern Spain, the South of France, Italy and Switzerland in VUX is still going ahead in June.

We have our EU driving permits (applications are picking up), Footman James has advised about getting a Green Card and we just need to sort out emission permits for two zones in the SofF we pas through, or just take the risk of a fine for not having one.

Depending on how it goes and reception we get (hopefully no issues) we'll plan another trip for 2020.

Cheers, Andrew

Hi Andrew, FJ are clearly being proactive ( their emails have been most useful)

I had not come across the emission zone permits .....do you have a Link?

Cheers

Iain

this one seems very clunky! 

http://urbanaccessregulations.eu/low-emission-zones-main

Edited by iain
Update
  • 2 weeks later...

We have our International Driving Permits and the Green Card is applied for prep for travelling in VUX to Spain, France, Italy and Switzerland in June.  Having waded through a number of websites it seems that cars over 30 years old do not need a Crit’Air Vignette (EU emission permit for some zones), but have asked Footman James for their view. 

Cheers, Andrew

• 1 month later...

I am planning to drive through Lille in my TR3a later this year and have just got around to looking at the Emission Permit requirements.  I have been on the French site that sells the relevant permit but you are unable to purchase them for vehicles older than 01/01/1999.  The web page doesn't offer date options before that, so one assumes that they aren't required - Does anyone out there know better?

Rgds Ian

As Brexit is delayed, I have just renewed our EHIC cards as well. No substitute for travel insurance but seeing as we are still members ....

Iain

On 3/16/2019 at 10:49 PM, Andrew Smith said:

We have our International Driving Permits and the Green Card is applied for prep for travelling in VUX to Spain, France, Italy and Switzerland in June.  Having waded through a number of websites it seems that cars over 30 years old do not need a Crit’Air Vignette (EU emission permit for some zones), but have asked Footman James for their view. 

Cheers, Andrew

Andrew, Did you get an answer from Footman James?

rgds Ian

The most recent advice I have is that whilst still in the EU all old timers or classics over 30 years old are exempt from restrictions from entering all low or ultra low emission zones across the EU. It is advised that you take some evidence of the age of your car just in case you are challenged. I have yet to hear of this advice being tested in reality. Once we leave the EU, I don't have a clue.

Remember that our cars are not exempt from congestion charges.

Mick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Driving will be irrelevant the pound will be so weak we will be restricted to however far and back we can get on a tank of petrol!

There is a certain irony that Boris Johnson has ended up with the job of sorting out the mess of his own making.  I suspect he was hoping it was all sorted before he became “World King” unlike the instigator Cameron who cleared off to live on his overseas investments. Closely followed by Theresa “I’m not going to call an election” May who left us 3 years on and no agreement sorted and UK government beholden to all the minorities in Parliament.

If I hear another word about the impact of Brexit on Scotland I will go apes***. Why does one region get so much coverage. Its population is comparable to Yorkshire, the East Midlands, West Midlands and only half of Greater London.

We are now also held hostage by half a dozen Northern Irish MPs. 

Did these politicians not understand that unpicking 50 years of integration would be a nightmare.

Of course we are now in charge of our country! Do they not understand that without Brussels there isn’t any one to blame other than our own, home grown elected numpties!

I think it may now all be over bar the shouting.

If the loss of the small Conservative majority means a no confidence motion in the government is tabled on Sept 4th or 5th Boris still has 14 days to try and reverse it in another vote, if he delays it until say the 19th of September and again loses it the date for the election has to allow about a 5 week period for campaigning (normal amount) before an election date is held, and the date of that is down to the incumbent Prime Minister, do you think he'll propose it's before the 31st October ?

Talk amongst the chattering MPs is that will be Nov 1st or afterwards, by which time the membership of the EU will be just a ephemeral dream (or nightmare) the UK having left the EU on a no deal basis on the 31st Oct...it's the law. I guess the talk of Proroguing Parliament was a red herring as a diversion whilst the Ost 31st date came over the horizon. 

There will be lots of comings and goings between the remainer MPs and the continent during the next 3-4 weeks...and they won't be going on holiday.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey