Rev counter cable and door weather trim

Hi,

I'm struggling with a couple of jobs. First is the rev counter. It's worked, then stopped. I've checked the metering unit and that's rotating. The cable is rotating at the rev counter end and I can make the needle move using a small screwdriver. When I slide the cable into the rev counter it seems to push the inner cable back so it doesn't engage. I've had the rev counter out, checked there's no broken cable in it, tried to line it all up but no joy. Is the cable reversible or could I have put it in the car the wrong way around?

Secondly, is there a knack, or a trade secret to fitting the outer weather strips to the door glass? I've been patient, I've been careful, I've been heavy-handed but I can't get the flipping things to go on.

If the inner cable can be pulled out at the dizzy end I think I am right in saying it is fitted the wrong way and may be allowing the inner to move back inside the outer as I think it only slides in one way.

Rob

Yes Rob, it can be pulled through at the metering unit.

Thanks,

Steve

Yes, it's the outer rubber seal. I've got a bent tool that pulls the clips up. I've tried pulling the clips onto the rubber and the door metal, putting them on the rubber first and pulling them over the door metal, and putting them on the door first, holding them in place with the tool and pushing the rubber into them. None of this seems to get me any further, other than teaching myself new swear words!!

On 3/5/2019 at 7:36 AM, Mike C said:

Mine only works reliably  with the stop at the tacho end. Maybe the inner cable needs restraining to stop sliding into the MU.

Yep, the stop must be at the tacho end. Many after market cables don't have a stop. I made a stop once but it is better to buy a cable with one.

Just make sure you have the correct clips. Many that are supplied are not the correct dimensions. 

The ones that work the best are:

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/1280/spring-clip

They may need still opening up a tad. 

Tim

If you look carefully at the lower lip of the outer weather strip (providing they are good repros) you will see flat indent sections in the rubber, that is where each of the clips has to go or you wont get them on. The only way to fit is with the strip in position and pull the clip up over the metal of the door and the strip at the same time with the tool slightly angled towards you with one hand and the other hand firmly pressing the strip down and against the door.

Stuart.

As Stuart says.

There are 7 indented areas that take the clips.

You must be on the indents with each clip.

Start at the front and sequentially work to the rear.

The last two or three are most difficult because of the change in elevation of the door shape.

Test each one after it is attached- sometimes the clip looks attached but will slip off- you should hear/feel a final click as the clip is home.

When the clip drops down inside the door, that is a good time to curse.

Walt

Edited by Sapphire72
7 hours ago, Sapphire72 said:

As Stuart says.

There are 7 indented areas that take the clips.

You must be on the indents with each clip.

Start at the front and sequentially work to the rear.

The last two or three are most difficult because of the change in elevation of the door shape.

Test each one after it is attached- sometimes the clip looks attached but will slip off- you should hear/feel a final click as the clip is home.

When the clip drops down inside the door, that is a good time to curse.

Walt

Any advantage in soaking the rubber in a hot bath first?

(That sounds a bit suspect, but I'm sure you get my meaning!) :D

John, that's a good idea, or set it in a low temp oven for 3 minutes, or use a heat gun-

could soften the rubber enough to lessen the cursing.

Any way you attack it, it is a 'trying' job.

Walt

Edited by Sapphire72

I had the 'Proper' tool for this,

and it just bent,

I made a more substantial one from 1/8th (yes thats imperial) read 3mm bar, by about 5/8 with the end

bent over in the vice - about 1/8th (Yes thats.....etc.) then I taped each clip in the toe of this bar with masking tape.

Atttacked the indent in the rubber at a slight angle, and a sharp pull slotted the clip home,

then a twist broke the tape.

Worked well after several other attempts ending in lots of bad words!

John.

P.S. I wouldn't consider softening the rubber, you'll make the job harder.

Thanks for all the advice. I need to go back to this job and start afresh. My current method of attack is to have all the clips on the door metal and try to push the weather strip down. I'll ditch this and follow the advice here, and maybe see if I can buy some patience and perserverance from a well-known online auction site!!!

12 hours ago, John Morrison said:

I had the 'Proper' tool for this,

and it just bent,

I made a more substantial one from 1/8th (yes thats imperial) read 3mm bar, by about 5/8 with the end

bent over in the vice - about 1/8th (Yes thats.....etc.) then I taped each clip in the toe of this bar with masking tape.

Atttacked the indent in the rubber at a slight angle, and a sharp pull slotted the clip home,

then a twist broke the tape.

Worked well after several other attempts ending in lots of bad words!

John.

P.S. I wouldn't consider softening the rubber, you'll make the job harder.

I made my own tool for this out of the same John but that was 30 yrs ago and its still going strong.

Stuart.

51 minutes ago, boogie said:

Thanks for all the advice. I need to go back to this job and start afresh. My current method of attack is to have all the clips on the door metal and try to push the weather strip down. I'll ditch this and follow the advice here, and maybe see if I can buy some patience and perserverance from a well-known online auction site!!!

hi John

Maybe its because I am a Biff but I tried most of above and I maybe its also the holes were worn on my frame but just as I thought I had it, I would cruise along on a sunny day and I would look at my panel and it was opening up or the missus would open door and go 'oh dear...'.  I put two really nice self tappers across top only and the rest seems to held.  Never looked back.  but give above a go and see how it goes as I do understand not wanting to drill or cut through nice panels.

Thanks for all the advice on this one. I'm still struggling with the door window seals, but my rev counter is working now. I never knew, and don't remember reading that the cable is directional but everyday's a school day.

30 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

Photos available mid-week if it would help.

John.

Yes please John