They will fit a treat and look great with 165/80 tyres. 

On my TR4 the sidewalls just protrude on the fron and sit just inside arch on the rear. I use the standard length steel wheel studs together with 6mm spacers rather than use the shortened wire wheel studs.  

Be warned that as they run so close to flush with the arches that any body offset will be apparent and most are offset by at least a bit. 

I know of at least two cars using different spacers each side to hide the body offset. 

1E4421D4-F1AA-4D84-AE29-F62182760BDA.jpeg

The T Trac 2 tyres were cheap and perform as well as the best (IMHO) but don’t polish the sidewalls like I did in the picture as it just highlights the horrible “dazzle” pattern. 

I used to use 'Rub a Dub' tyre polish. It gave a natural finish. When I was in the fire service we were prohibited from using shoe polish

on the fire engine tyres because this apparently caused potential damage to the rubber?

Tom.

Just now, Fireman049 said:

I used to use 'Rub a Dub' tyre polish. It gave a natural finish. When I was in the fire service we were prohibited from using shoe polish

on the fire engine tyres because this apparently caused potential damage to the rubber?

Tom.

Hi Tom,

that is interesting. I wonder if it was the older rubber composition or volatile old fashion shoe polish.

Roger

Didn’t Anthony Hopkins character in the worlds fastest Indian, boot polish his tyres to mask the cracking in them to get through scrutineering for his speed record attempt !! :):ph34r:

and I'm not saying it makes it a legitimate practice!!

Tom,

I suspect the instruction to not use shoe polish was more a case of slowing the squandering

a publicly funded resource.I can't believe you guys actually bought your own boot polish?

However, I've always used shoe polish on tyres old and new and never  had any problem.

Tyres of the 50/60/70s and earlier had a much greater proportion of natural rubber in their

composition, probably on the basis of cost.Nowadays, the boffins have concocted all sorts

of oil based rubbers to suit any given condition, and very effective at it they have become.

Racing tyres still have a somewhat higher proportion of natural rubber I understand.I can't believe

shoe polish stays on any tyre long enough to be a problem.

I know when Yeltsin was Russian President, acholholics sent to the drying out clinics secretly used

shoe polish spread on bread to enable the volatile content  maximum opportunity so that the unfortunates

could get their kicks!

Thread seems to have wandered a bit (Again)

Roger M-E

13 minutes ago, stillp said:

Tyre black spray from the pound shop is also pretty cheap!

Pete

How cheap Pete ?

:ph34r:

44 minutes ago, stillp said:

There's a clue in the name Hamish!:P

Pete

Can’t believe you took the bait ;):lol:

Drewmotty mentioned Vredestein T Trac 2 tyres.
If anyone is interested 165/80 R15 are £40.10 inc.VAT at Camskill at the moment.

You can pay a lot more elsewhere be do be aware that Camskill prices seem to vary almost day by day. I bought a set from them last month at £43.00 each, which I thought was good because the month before they were almost £50.00 each.

Charlie.

• 4 months later...

At long last got my 72 spoke wheels painted and collected them this afternoon..

Now have to find a tyre fitter in Ireland ( Dublin area )that will fit tyres without damage to fresh paint?

One other query …  how many spacers and what size would be recommended for front and back wheels? or is it trial and error?   is there a supplieryou would recommend?

Thanks again,

Sean.

Hi Sean,

normally a 6mm spacer will be enough to convert the standard stud for use with wire wheels.   Moss, TRShop, Rimmer,TRGB all do the spacers.

When you have fitted the wheels (and tyres) moving the steering from lock to lock and see if the inner edge of the wheel touches the top wish bones.

Sometimes they do but the 6mm spacer should stop that.

Roger

Edited by RogerH
duff info

TR Shop do nice spacers in 6mm section, they are my preferred ones, I cant see that spacers will alter your toe in Roger?

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

TR Shop do nice spacers in 6mm section, they are my preferred ones, I cant see that spacers will alter your toe in Roger?

Stuart.

Well spotted Stuart,

that's my cock-up of the day. Of course it will not affect the toe-in as the wheel in/out is independent of the steering rack lever on the suspension assembly

Thinking too much - but in the wrong direction

Roger 

28 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

The theoretical concerns are that petroleum jelly weakens latex. (Lipstick is known to significantly weaken and cause failure of latex condoms)

I'm not sure the concerns can be applied to vulcanised rubber.

Now how did you find that out Andy?

Pete

2 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

(Lipstick is known to significantly weaken and cause failure of latex condoms)

Random quote of the day goes to..................................Andy! :lol::lol:

Stuart.