Clutch Master Cylinder (revisited)

Following the previous discussion regarding MC bore size. Can anybody tell me how to identify whether the MC fitted to my vehicle is a L or RHD item?

The car was totally rebuilt and converted from LHD to RHD. I have identified the MC as the later 0.7" item. As I didn't (read couldn't!) do the rebuild I have no idea whether the original LHD item was refitted, or replaced with a RHD item.

Unfortunately although the Rimmer catalogue gives differant part numbers, it does not identify the differance between the two. For that matter does it matter, though I would imagine it must?

Is the rebuild of the MC using a repair kit a simple operation, as the repair kit appears to be the same?

Finally has anyone got any feedback on the clutch Master and slave package currently on offer with davidmanners which seems fantastic vfm?

I have learned one valuable lesson this year. laying a car up and SORNing it to save 6 months tax is not a clever idea. We live, and sometimes learn.

Regards to all

Derek

Derek

Not 100% sure, but I think the master cylinders are the same, it's the pushrod that's slightly different? they are mounted the other way round on a LHD car, ie the pushrod faces backwards. I've stripped both LH & RHD cylinders and could see no difference.

Ron

Edited by ron
Derek

Not 100% sure, but I think the master cylinders are the same, it's the pushrod that's slightly different? they are mounted the other way round on a LHD car, ie the pushrod faces backwards. I've stripped both LH & RHD cylinders and could see no difference.

Ron

Ron

Many thanks. By backwards I assume you mean facing the rear of the car? If so it would appear I have a RHD cylinder. 1st post, problem solved.

Derek

Derek

The master cylinder on the LHD cars is bolted directly to the front of the bulkhead, the push rod goes through the bulkhead and is actuated directly by the clutch pedal, it's a much neater set-up than the RHD cars which is a bit Heath Robinson, which leads me to suspect that these cars were designed as LHD in the first place, RHD was an afterthought??

Ron

• 13 years later...

So what stops you just taking the lhd pedal box complete with clutch master cylinder and brake servo, complete with pedals untouched and just translate it to the RHS. Why do you need to change the brake pedals?and the clutch mc. Or am I missing something. 

Edited by InfinityJon
On 4/14/2006 at 8:28 PM, Guest ron said:

Derek

The master cylinder on the LHD cars is bolted directly to the front of the bulkhead, the push rod goes through the bulkhead and is actuated directly by the clutch pedal, it's a much neater set-up than the RHD cars which is a bit Heath Robinson, which leads me to suspect that these cars were designed as LHD in the first place, RHD was an afterthought??

Ron

Well it was designed by a German design house:)