Clutch Sleeve - which one

3 hours ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi all

I had a call from my mechanic and he said the sleeve is too small for the shaft.  His estimates are that the new one is 42,5 millimeters and the old one is 42,8 millimeters. 

Can anyone help me on this?  I wrote to Rimmers and they suggesting having the new brass one reamed but I simply don't get why this should happen.  Is it possible the whole clutch I have is from something else or the shaft is the wrong diameter and from something else? 

Greatly appreciate help here as all work has stopped at the workshop.  I can take better measurements and pictures if necessary.

Rich

Hi Rich,

contact Rimmer and tell them they have bad parts give them the details.

Consider raising a PQI form and and we may be able to follow it up.

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/pqi

Roger

Edited by RogerH

hi all and thanks for help.

I do not have a really good micrometer so may be out a bit.  The new brass sleeve is about 0.20mm smaller so its a tiny bit too small.  It goes on, but sticks.  Using not the best measurer, I guess the new brass is 42.72mm.  The old is about +0.20 so about 42.87-94.

I am wondering if the actual shaft is maybe a tiny bit bigger?  And here is the big but. . . why and If so, is this because of a different gearbox from another type of Triumph?  However Roger is saying his shaft is coming through at 42.75mm so as I see it, this new sleeve would just fit on this but may be a bit tight.

The mechanic will go try find the serial number on gearbox and try measure the shaft to help my finding the problem. 

Appreciate any help and ideas or thoughts.  Mr Paranoia is telling me new gearbox :-(

Rich

Edited by AarhusTr6

"is this because of a different gearbox from another type of Triumph"  This practice  is pretty common given the TR6's age.  My gearbox serial number indicates it came out of a Triumph sedan, this caused a lot of problems the first time I replaced a clutch. Other Tr6's have been fitted with modified Stag gearboxes over the years.

12 hours ago, AarhusTr6 said:

hi all and thanks for help.

I do not have a really good micrometer so may be out a bit.  The new brass sleeve is about 0.20mm smaller so its a tiny bit too small.  It goes on, but sticks.  Using not the best measurer, I guess the new brass is 42.72mm.  The old is about +0.20 so about 42.87-94.

I am wondering if the actual shaft is maybe a tiny bit bigger?  And here is the big but. . . why and If so, is this because of a different gearbox from another type of Triumph?  However Roger is saying his shaft is coming through at 42.75mm so as I see it, this new sleeve would just fit on this but may be a bit tight.

The mechanic will go try find the serial number on gearbox and try measure the shaft to help my finding the problem. 

Appreciate any help and ideas or thoughts.  Mr Paranoia is telling me new gearbox :-(

Rich

Stamped on the shoulder of the box where the clutch actuating arm comes out will be some letters/numbers this will help you work out what the box came out of.

Stuart.

Marks TR5 668.jpg

Marks TR5 667.jpg

Oh and I hope your sleeve isnt brass as it wont last five minutes it must be the bronze version or the steel one.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Oh and I hope your sleeve isnt brass as it wont last five minutes it must be the bronze version or the steel one.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart!

Do you have any experience of fitting the Revington bronze type and did you use saloon slippers, as to their performance over time? Is it thumbs up or down?

Bruce.

I have a bronze one in mine but I havent bothered with the saloon pins, works fine for me.

Stuart.

5 hours ago, astontr6 said:

Hi Stuart!

Do you have any experience of fitting the Revington bronze type and did you use saloon slippers, as to their performance over time? Is it thumbs up or down?

Bruce.

Hi

I found this which indicates that its an original GB so I simply cant see why the sleeve from Rimmes does not fit so I can assume its a manufacturing issue :-(

Gearbox serial numbers prior to 1972 were prefixed with the letters CD for all models, and the

numbering sequence continued the range of numbers that was started for the TR250 and TR5.

This same numbering system was continued for non-U.S.A. models right through to the end, but

beginning with the 1972 model year, gearbox numbers for U.S.A. models were prefixed with the

letters CC, and the sequence began with the  number CC75001. There is an indication in the

factory spare parts catalogue that, beginning with the 1975 model year, gearbox numbers for

U.S.A. type markets were prefixed with the letters CF, but we have never seen a gearbox number

with a CF prefix, and several very later 1976 models in our possession have gearbox numbers

with CC prefixes.

Edited by AarhusTr6

Hi all

I decided to give up on this one.  I have been back and forth with Rimmers and I keep saying its the inner of the sleeve that cannot go onto the shaft but they either go on about the fork, or the bearing etc not fitting.  I therefore go back to using the original iron one with the new bearing which I know fits and then the mechanic can get back to work.

Thanks for all the help, was really pleased with the idea of the bronze sleeve but its seems all too complicated so throwing in the towel as they say.

Rich

Rich,

don;t panic the steel sleeve does and will work. The bronze does work also.

Put it all back together and get it on the road.

Who ever you spoke to at Rimmer is not being fair to his customers - head in the sand and whistling dixie. (can that be done)

Roger

4 hours ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi all

I decided to give up on this one.  I have been back and forth with Rimmers and I keep saying its the inner of the sleeve that cannot go onto the shaft but they either go on about the fork, or the bearing etc not fitting.  I therefore go back to using the original iron one with the new bearing which I know fits and then the mechanic can get back to work.

Thanks for all the help, was really pleased with the idea of the bronze sleeve but its seems all too complicated so throwing in the towel as they say.

Rich

Maybe try sending the gearbox photos to Rimmers and ask them for advice, they might have given you the wrong  component and photos are better than verbal phone descriptions.

Hi Rich

Place the steel-sleeve in the lathe and polish inside with steel-wool and the edges at both ends with something that can make them a bit less sharp.

And also polish the shaft.

And do not forget to align the gearbox with the back-plate with the two dowels, that fits tight.

That should do it.

Cheers 

Tage

On 3/18/2019 at 3:26 PM, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi all

I had a call from my mechanic and he said the sleeve is too small for the shaft.  His estimates are that the new one is 42,5 millimeters and the old one is 42,8 millimeters. 

Can anyone help me on this?  I wrote to Rimmers and they suggesting having the new brass one reamed but I simply don't get why this should happen.  Is it possible the whole clutch I have is from something else or the shaft is the wrong diameter and from something else? 

Greatly appreciate help here as all work has stopped at the workshop.  I can take better measurements and pictures if necessary.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Having converted your mm to inches we are only taking about 0 015" to be removed here! This can easerly be done on a lathe to give a running clearance of 0.003". The figures of 42.75 and 43.15 mm in the post above give 0.016"" clearance which is far too much and I believe that will give a sticky clutch as they were similar to my original ones?

Hi all

I don't really have access to a lathe and the car is hogging space at the mechanics.  I sent tons on pictures to Rimmers and they could not understand the issue.

thanks for all

Rich

Hi,

I fitted a new steel carrier(unknown manufacture from a trade stall at stoneleigh) which had a smaller bore than the original worked fine on the bench but in use was very stiff so I Brought a bronze carrier and it was still binding on the shaft giving a hard clutch I got my brother to cylindrical grind it out  to the standard steel size as the bore was smaller and it has since work fine, it appeares to me that bore to shaft clearance is quite critical to getting a smooth working clutch. Which ever carrier material is used

Richard