Clutch Sleeve - which one

Hi Rich,

a number of suppliers are selling the softer brass carrier (Saloon cars). These need the larger slipper pads rather than the two pins on the fork.

Revington still do the Bronze carrier.

Three years ago I fitted a steel carrier and it is working very well.

Roger

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Rich,

a number of suppliers are selling the softer brass carrier (Saloon cars). These need the larger slipper pads rather than the two pins on the fork.

Revington still do the Bronze carrier.

Three years ago I fitted a steel carrier and it is working very well.

Roger

I fitted the Revington bronze carrier and the larger slippers as a recommended TR mod. It has lasted 6K so far and transformed the clutch operation no more sticky operation which plagued me for 44 years. Note : Moss do not know the difference between bronze and their brass ones, keep well away from there's. If you keep with the steel carrier make sure that it has very little clearance between the gearbox nose and carrier, because if too loose you will get a rocking action which I believe this is the cause of the sticky clutch action.

Bruce.

19 hours ago, Kevo_6 said:

+1 for revington bronze carrier.

19 hours ago, Kevo_6 said:

+1 for revington bronze carrier.

Hi Kevo!

How many miles has your Revington bronze carrier done and did you fit the saloon slippers?

Bruce.

2 hours ago, astontr6 said:

Hi Kevo!

How many miles has your Revington bronze carrier done and did you fit the saloon slippers?

Bruce.

Hi Bruce

I didn’t fit any saloon slippers and I suppose I’ve done about 4 to 5k miles and it still feels great. Not been out in yet this year though :(:o The gearbox has been out 3 times since but that wasn’t clutch related.

On 3/4/2019 at 6:59 PM, Kevo_6 said:

Hi Bruce

I didn’t fit any saloon slippers and I suppose I’ve done about 4 to 5k miles and it still feels great. Not been out in yet this year though :(:o The gearbox has been out 3 times since but that wasn’t clutch related.

Hi Kevo,

Sorry to hear that you have had your gearbox out so many times. I went through that experience with clutch release bearings! What was the problem with your gearbox? Was it soft layshafts from Moss? as they sold over 45 soft ones into the market!!!!!

Bruce.

Hi Rich,

see attached pic. Brass carrier with standard fork with pins.   After less than two years use.

The original bronze carrier had some slight wear but had many 0000's miles on it.

Roger

P1030171a.jpg

Edited by RogerH
51 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Rich,

see attached pic. Brass carrier with standard fork with pins.   After less than two years use.

The original bronze carrier had some slight wear but had many 0000's miles on it.

Roger

P1030171a.jpg

Hi Roger!

Has Moss now withdrawn their bass carriers and gone over to a durable bronze type? Was Jeff shown your example?

Bruce.

10 hours ago, John L said:

Do the larger slipper pads159003A (rimmers)  fit over the existing pins in the fork?

Hi John,

My slippers came from ORS who rebuilt/modified my gearbox/overdrive. That was not mentioned to me but the Revington bronze bearing carrier had to have the slipper groove opened up slightly for running clearance. I was lead to believe that was all that was needed. It was a standard mod that ORS offered along with the 3 needle roller mod for the layshaft as per Stag. They also offered the Sprint first gear mod for the TR's. If you speak to Peter there I am certain he can tell you!

Bruce.

Hi

I got a bronze one from Rimmers and obviously I cannot do a metal test but cast quality looks nice.  Have been reading on the advantages of bronze particularly with its low metal on metal friction.  This bronze one though is £46 compared to either £11/18 for what I guess is cast iron.

The fork pin that came is made by a German company called BASTUCK and I just put my faith in German engineering here!

Lets see how it goes.

Rich

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:50 AM, astontr6 said:

Hi Roger!

Has Moss now withdrawn their bass carriers and gone over to a durable bronze type? Was Jeff shown your example?

Bruce.

from my humble understanding, brass, depending on the amount of Zinc has differing properties WRT durability and behaves different in hot/cold.  Seems to me Bronze is the better material . .well I hope so as that is what I have just bought!

15 minutes ago, AarhusTr6 said:

Hi

I got a bronze one from Rimmers and obviously I cannot do a metal test but cast quality looks nice.  Have been reading on the advantages of bronze particularly with its low metal on metal friction.  This bronze one though is £46 compared to either £11/18 for what I guess is cast iron.

The fork pin that came is made by a German company called BASTUCK and I just put my faith in German engineering here!

Lets see how it goes.

Rich

Hi Rich,

the bronze carrier (the good one) is quite dark gold in colour. The brass carrier (no good with out the slipper pads) is a bright gold colour

The steel carrier, despite historical issues, works very well. If it doesn't then there are other problems causing the issue.

It is not cast iron (that would be a good move - self lubricating) but a decent machining steel. I got mine from the TRShop and has a black coating.

Do not necessarily put all your TRust in German engineering - they are human too.

Roger

On 3/6/2019 at 8:48 AM, astontr6 said:

Hi Kevo,

Sorry to hear that you have had your gearbox out so many times. I went through that experience with clutch release bearings! What was the problem with your gearbox? Was it soft layshafts from Moss? as they sold over 45 soft ones into the market!!!!!

Bruce.

Hi Bruce, I had several problems with the steel carrier but once I replaced it with the Revington bronze carrier all was good. The reason I changed the clutch and all the bearings etc was that my gearbox failed but I had to have the gearbox out twice more until the bronze carrier sorted the problem. I had  the box rebuilt and then it failed again, rebuilt again and failed again but fortunately YOU pm’d me regarding your experiences with the upgrades and your findings with soft lay shafts back in early 2017 which was conveyed to my rebuilder and after uprating as per your pm and also sorting the overdrive all has been good ever since. So l will thank you again and appreciate your help.

Many Thanks 

Kev.

On 3/8/2019 at 12:08 PM, AarhusTr6 said:

hi Roger

Rimmers say I have the uprated bronze one so no need for slipper pads.

Rich

Hi Rich,

The advantage of the slipper pads is that they spread the load and keep the side forces much more under control. Yesterday I spent 1/2 an hour in a traffic jam and just creeping along, in the past my clutch would have become sticky, now that does not happen. Roger's pictures show what happens when using bass with pins only and when I took my old 44 year old M/S one out it had similar wear marks in the groove, I do know what happens with bronze but Revington and ORS recommended their use. So I am for slipper pads as fitted to the Saloons.

Bruce.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

I had a call from my mechanic and he said the sleeve is too small for the shaft.  His estimates are that the new one is 42,5 millimeters and the old one is 42,8 millimeters. 

Can anyone help me on this?  I wrote to Rimmers and they suggesting having the new brass one reamed but I simply don't get why this should happen.  Is it possible the whole clutch I have is from something else or the shaft is the wrong diameter and from something else? 

Greatly appreciate help here as all work has stopped at the workshop.  I can take better measurements and pictures if necessary.

Rich