TR7 V8 front brake upgrade

Hi all

I'm sure this topic has been covered in the past, but want to get some feedback on my idea.

I'm mid way through a 3.9 efi conversion and i'm looking at other front brake upgrades than the likes of Robsport and Rimmers etc.

The car will be running on MG TF 15" alloys and I have found that Sierra Cosworth 2wd 283mm dia front discs are almost the same height as the original TR7 discs and could be redrilled for the correct PCD. Has anyone tried fitting these and also has anyone fitted MG TF 160 AP Racing 4 pot calipers and if so what modifications were needed and will they fit under the 15" wheels?

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Hi Spec Motorsport do a 285 mm disc and lightweight 4 pot caliper set up.  Beware though when I ordered one, despite asking for assurances up front they still managed to send me a TR6 set !!  Not cheap either but pretty good.  In the end I stuck with the Capri brakes that the car came with but using Ferodo f3000 pads which I personally love - they work from cold and are very effective.

My 7 was fitted with with MGF 15" wheels, Princess calipers, TR8 discs plus replacement uprated pads, but after a quick run down the Stelvio pass in 2017 we ended up at the bottom with warped discs so it was time for an upgrade.

EBC supplied the following:-

GD194 GD* - EBC GD Series Slotted and Dimpled Sport Discs (Pair)
DP4243R - EBC Yellowstuff 4000 Series Street and Track Brake Pad Set

* Check the reference since I originally purchased the TR7 version and not the larger diameter TR8 version.

Since then the brake performance, which never gave me any concerns before, has significantly improved and I can lock the front wheels without any problems.

Its not a cheap exercise, but its well worthwhile.

Howard

• 2 months later...

I run the Princess 4 pots on my two TR7s. One has Capri vented discs and the other has Toyota Supra vented discs.  The reason for this is one pair of calipers has been re-drilled to make them fit better under 13" wheels and they match with the Capri discs nicely. The Capri discs are 245mm diameter.  

The other calipers have standard mounting holes and this puts them slightly further away from the hub so the pads would slightly overlap the Capri discs. The Supra discs are slightly larger at 258mm and match the calipers perfectly.

I like the Princess calipers because they are freely available and fairly cheap. Replacement parts for them are also readily available.

• 1 year later...
On 5/8/2019 at 5:44 PM, dursley said:

I run the Princess 4 pots on my two TR7s. One has Capri vented discs and the other has Toyota Supra vented discs.  The reason for this is one pair of calipers has been re-drilled to make them fit better under 13" wheels and they match with the Capri discs nicely. The Capri discs are 245mm diameter.  

The other calipers have standard mounting holes and this puts them slightly further away from the hub so the pads would slightly overlap the Capri discs. The Supra discs are slightly larger at 258mm and match the calipers perfectly.

I like the Princess calipers because they are freely available and fairly cheap. Replacement parts for them are also readily available.

Interested in the upgrade to the brakes and the Princess calipers calipers on a 13inch alloy have you got some pics?

• 2 weeks later...

I remember that I once bought a TR7 16V car that had unmodified big princess calipers under standard 13 Alloys, and found the problem with the pads hanging over the edge of the disk the hard way. But I don't know if they still fit under 13" alloys with a spacer for vented disks. So that would be interesting to hear/see.

Also, do these 258mm Supra disks fit as they come, need modifying, or need a spacer or some such?

Graham

I went for the Capri vented discs, M16 calipers and an up-graded servo. This set-up works well for normal road use on a 2 litre.

I understand the princess calipers are becoming difficult to find.

Dave

Edited by DaveR
On 5/20/2021 at 5:25 PM, Graham.Fountain said:

I remember that I once bought a TR7 16V car that had unmodified big princess calipers under standard 13 Alloys, and found the problem with the pads hanging over the edge of the disk the hard way. But I don't know if they still fit under 13" alloys with a spacer for vented disks. So that would be interesting to hear/see.

Also, do these 258mm Supra disks fit as they come, need modifying, or need a spacer or some such?

Graham

Graham, the Supra discs have a different centre to the Capri ones so don't fit the Capri adapter.  I had a local machine shop make me some so that the Supra discs can be fitted without any further machining when/if I have to relace them.

Supra 5a kit.JPG

• 1 year later...