Bob you beat me to it!

If it reads Z34, that would  appear to be a relatively late tr3b chassis, based on the relatively small amount of data collected by Gerard.

Iain

Edited by iain

The car always had a very good chassis. Scraping the chassis now I was surprised to come across shiny metal under black paint occasionally! Perhaps this is normal? The car has a 'factory reconditioned' FR engine and I suspect a new front apron, as this is in very good condition. Is it possible the car went back to a dealer or the factory early in its life for a replacement chassis & engine after a front end knock?

My impression is the chassis on these cars holds up pretty well. I found factory black paint on my TR3A frame, admittedly usually under some caked on leaked oil. Many of these cars had a checkered past, I am convinced that drivers in the late 50's did not know how to steer since so many early TR's were hit on the front corners. Can you share the commission number and do you have any pictures of the body especially the tub ?. I would think if it was hit hard enough to bend the frame beyond repair we would see some evidence elsewhere even if the nose was replaced.

Stan

My apologies for the delay. Have been layed up with the dreaded man flu & wife has been away! The car is a late 54 manufacture TS51**. I have original buff logbook etc. The body has all the features which fit the commission no. E.g. 4 slot bonnet, no vent flap. Wood framed doors. Early rear & boot floors. Screw terminals on electrical equipment, baby Tenax, 54 marked on steering wheel & wiper motor etc. I am sure I do remember some beaten out crumpling on the front inner wings. Which could explain! Will post a photo this weekend. 

Attached photo of inner wing. I do remember removing a lot of filler from the inner wings when I stripped the car 30 odd years ago. There does look to have been some welding also. Not sure if this shows up in the photo?

I now have the chassis upside down. There seems to be the remnants of a bracket or perhaps a nut cage at the bottom of the cruciform where the small diameter tube is welded. This must be where the front floor or gearbox tunnel are bolted through. Can anyone tell me if I have something missing here?

Hi that’s for a captive nut .... a long bolt goes through the floor, body mounting rubber and through the chassis at this point as you surmised.

Iain

3 hours ago, iain said:

Hi that’s for a captive nut .... a long bolt goes through the floor, body mounting rubber and through the chassis at this point as you surmised.

Iain

and these are 5/16x24 cage nuts, not the usual 1/4 inch. Both of mine (TR3A) were also broken off, probably hit with a rock or speed bump or something. I replaced them with the industrial strength ones sold by Mark Macy which he probably gets in bulk from McMasters or similar.

Stan

12 hours ago, Ed -TR2 said:

20190317_192522.jpg

That section having been welded up is pretty usual as its the back side of the front body mount that never had any sealant to stop water getting down between it and the inner arch, I have replaced that section lots of times.

Stuart.

Martins TR3A 006.jpg

Martins TR3A 010.jpg

Thank you all very much for your help & photos. Nearly finished scraping all black underseal from the chassis, so will take it for blasting in a week or so. This may have been discussed before but what is the consensus of paint vs powder coating for these chassis. My aim is to paint as I believe powder coating may split over time on the chassis rail edges as the chassis flexes??