Hi. I am a new member with a recently aquired short door TR2. My Dad bought this car in 1977 ran it for a 2-3 years then was layed up. We took it to bits in 1986 with the intention of restoring it, but this never happened for various reasons. I have just started cleaning the underseal from the chassis prior to having it blasted and have noticed a few anomalies. It appears to have the lower steering brackets from the later split column TR3A. It has the brake hose brackets for a drum braked car and some other brackets welded to the bump stop brackets that are bent out of the way. I am asuming these are for a later disc braked car? I have attached a picture. Any help would be most welcome. 

20190303_134947.jpg

Good day Ed and a very warm welcome to the forum. That sure does look like a TR3A frame with the bracket for the lower steering section support. There should be one just like it on the other side. If you need more pictures of the TR3A frame details just ask.

Stan

Hi Stan, thank you for the warm welcome and prompt reply. I intend to keep the car fairly standard, in doing so keeping the original steering and long steering column. Would there be any benefit in keeping the drivers side bracket and obtaining a 3A lower clamp as an additional clamp for the long cloumn? 

We had a discussion about that lower steering support a short time ago, it is at the bottom of this thread:

I'm guessing that you probably have the option to use either the early or the late bracket at that location. That later support looks a bit better engineered than the early one.

Pictures of your project are always appreciated btw.

Stan

Hi. Thanks for your help & the link. Very interesting! I have another question. There are 3 holes drilled in the drivers side, outside rear chassis leg. They are between the rear wing stay and the axle check strap. They are not on the passenger side. Hopefully they are visible on the attached. Are they there for a reason? I would hate to weld them up only to find later on they have a purpose!! Thanks. Ed

20190303_202515.jpg

The very front one is to clip the breather pipe from the fuel tank to the other two arent used but are useful for injecting waxoyl in.

Stuart.

Thanks for the info Stuart. As it has been 33 years since the car was taken apart my memory has failed me somewhat!

In the attached photo of the left hand suspension turret support, can anyone please tell me what is the bottom bracket is for? Also where my finger is, are the remnants of a weld. I can see a forked bracket on pictures of other 2-3A chassis at this location. Is this where the fuel tap bolts on? Ed20190304_182330.thumb.jpg.09162ee4b7710ad02480f4da5dad5f8c.jpg

I think the bracket is for the clutch pipework. A junction and support between the ridged pipe from the master and the flexi to the slave.

95323BAD-5F56-4545-9D5C-FBFFF229B0C3.jpeg

Hamish is correct, that bracket is for the clutch line where the solid line from the master cylinder meets the rubber hose going to the slave. By the TR3A the fuel shut off tap had been removed. As you can see from the image below I added an inline fuel shut off tap. The picture also shows the same bracket for the clutch. My TR3A is left hand drive of course.

20190304_181039-X3.jpg

Edited by foster461

The upper weld would have held the fuel tap on a forked bracket.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, stuart said:

The upper weld would have held the fuel tap on a forked bracket.

Stuart.

My Post 60K TR3a had no evidence that there was ever a fuel tap bracket but it sounds like the fuel tap did survive into the TR3A production. Was it taken away at 60K when the other major changes occurred ?

Stan

53 minutes ago, Ed -TR2 said:

Thanks for the great pics guys. Does anyone have a close up of the forked fuel tap bracket so I can fabricate one?

248128027_Fueltapbrkt2.jpg.f805031d7d090a95c173b0a343802937.jpg      325164257_Fueltapbrkt1.jpg.a0afe4028e64ac3461c205bfbc485031.jpg

Hope this helps

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Appreciate the photos & help once again. The Z number is a bit difficult to read. Looks like possibly Z5 but there is a very small 44 after this? I have been reading other threads to try & identify it! A list of the Z numbers would be helpful. Will upload photo. Can't get it to upload at the moment