hydraulic clutch release bearing (for TR4A-TR6)

13 hours ago, Z320 said:

Hi all,

I drove the first 500 miles and the unit works without any issues.

P1160525-b.JPG.a4d6449ebd2d95d6036b2ee578398d96.JPG 

P1160529-b.JPG.3a2365d40870fdf752270bec0a51e304.JPG

Ciao, Marco

That says it all really Marco :D

well done a great bit of engineering.

H

Thanks Hamish,

about the copper pipes and steel nipples / connector I want to add I did not want to see

"Dash" or other modern aluminium fitting on my TR, not in any coulor or chrome, also no stainless steel braided hoses.

This is my own taste but also avoids questions from the TÜV about "original" and the H-registration of my TR.

Also copper pipes and steel nipples cost "nothing" compared to modern stuff.

And if needed I can make them my own.

Ciao, Marco

Is copper pipe TUV approved for brake hydraulic pipes?  My memory of  years ago when supplying Heuten  Says no,  only Kunifer or original Zinc coated Bundy steel tube was accepted.

No doubt you know the TUV requirements better than me.

Cheers

Peter W

Copper is original for a classic british car, so this caused me never any problems.

But I never asked, German saying is (perhaps also at GB): "Who asks stupid questions gets stupid answers".

Same-same but as usual: the english is MUCH more polite, the german MUCH more direct.

Please forgive us, we don't know better.

Edited by Z320
6 minutes ago, Z320 said:

Same-same but as usual: the english is MUCH more polite, the german MUCH more direct.

Please forgive us, we don't know better.

I wasn’t trying to correct you, just share a different saying.

Never apologise Marco

you put us (me) to shame with your multilingual ability.

We have the "stupid questions/stupid answers" one as well Marco for use when appropriate.

We also have another couple of sayings which might fit - "what the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve over" and "when ignorance is bliss, it's folly to be wise".

Edited by RobH
49 minutes ago, RobH said:

We have the "stupid questions/stupid answers" one as well Marco for use when appropriate.

We also have another couple of sayings which might fit - "what the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve over" and "when ignorance is bliss, it's folly to be wise".

I like your last one Rob
it could be my motto :unsure:

23 hours ago, Z320 said:

Copper is original for a classic british car, so this caused me never any problems.

But I never asked, German saying is (perhaps also at GB): "Who asks stupid questions gets stupid answers".

From the AutoMec (brake pipe maker) web site in their Q & A

https://automec.co.uk/

What is the difference between Copper and Copper Nickel brake pipe tubing?

Other than the colour, very little! Copper is more malleable and can be considered slightly easier to work with. All our left-hand drive kits are supplied in copper-nickel to accommodate the requirements of the German TUV.

I think it may have been the Heuten demand that drove that change in their use of materials from copper to copper nickel (Kunifer) over 25 years ago.   They still offer copper or alternatively copper/nickel for both LHD & RHD cars.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
  • 5 months later...

Great mod! Great thread!  Lots of careful thought and engineering, beautifully executed and well documented.  I'm going to be reading this a few times in the next days/weeks!

BTW - a late response to the post above - the advantage of Kunifer over straight copper is supposed to be that it is less prone to work hardening and thus potential cracking and failure "up the road".  This is why copper is banned for brake pipe use in several countries including Germany, Australia and New Zealand.  My experience - it's absolutely fine if properly supported.

Nick

Hi Bit late coming in on this topic I have a Titan Hydraulic Clutch fitted in my TR6have covered mote than 30 k no problems the system was engineered & installed by Manvers Triumph many years ago sadly Clive no longer with us

Alec+

1 minute ago, alec said:

Hi Bit late coming in on this topic I have a Titan Hydraulic Clutch fitted in my TR6have covered mote than 30 k no problems the system was engineered & installed by Manvers Triumph many years ago sadly Clive no longer with us

Alec+

Hi Alec,

is that a Tilton.  These are quite wide spread on other cars.

Roger

Hi Roger

Yes Tilton Clive said he had fitted only a few on other cars. My engine was in for a full rebuild at the same time, gained a few more horse when put on a rolling road at Whilshes Cambridge garage a couple of years lateer

I took a length of copper brake pipe into our pipe shop at work... we got it up to 6500psi and it never let go! 
And I had done the flares on my little hand held ebay kit!:lol:

• 1 month later...
On 5/2/2020 at 9:20 PM, Z320 said:

Ready to go back in the TR

1393392731_73readytofit01.JPG.c8040d41099ff1897d16b10c82991536.JPG  162314490_74readytofit02.JPG.6d1f64bef384413d6febf7e51d10ecc7.JPG

I'm thinking of making "a lift" to get it easy in - and out again, someone here at this forum showed a very usefull construction....

Here is the item for a Dolomite Sprint as a kit

http://www.sprintspeed.co.uk/pages/products-manufactured/product-clutch/

Dol Sprint coax clutch small.jpg