AntiFreeze — Checking

How often should one change the AntiFreeze, well I guess it depends if it’s still doing it’s job ok, but having heard various stories about testing tools I wondered if there was another way. Like nearly all households we have an ideal test rig in the kitchen, well it has a display which says it’s internal temp is -18 deg which is colder than it ever gets in the UK at least. So into the bottom drawer goes a test sample in a small jar, Bluecols best at a 50% mix approx.                 The result after 4 hours is no change, very cold but no sign of freezing. So is this a fair test?

Chris  :huh:

B05648C0-F3B7-46B2-85ED-F03B565698F3.jpeg

Antifreeze is a mix of glycol ether (usually) and anticorrosion agents.It is recommended to change antifreeze periodically, not because it looses its ability to prevent freezing but its protection against corrosion, You can buy cheap testers or use a multimeter. Google test antifreeze for more info.

MIke

Edited by MikeF

It's recommended to change every 2 years to maintain anti-corrosive performance. Hydrometers are available to measure specific gravity and hence glycol content and freezing point.

Not really worth worrying too much about these details. Just replace every 2 years with Bluecol or similar at 33% to maintain corrosion protection.

Nigel

Thanks guys, and Roger a piece of mild steel will go in jar today. 

Just a thought but would the colour (cleanliness) of the antifreeze in rad indicate if corrosion is taking place?

Hi Chris, 

if you start off with a clean but used block then the coolant will stay clean for a considerable time.

If it turns a gungy brown colour then either it has disturbed some long forgotten crud or the block is corroding.

Possibly worth doing a cleaning process before renewing the AF if it comes out mucky.   Radflush etc 0 flush the block thenadd the AF.

Roger

The engine was fully cleaned 7 years ago when rebuilt and rad recored. The antifreeze is still blue but not such a bright blue as when new like in my 50/50 mix top up bottle. Before the rebuild I used to find sludge in bottom of overflow bottle but not since rebuild. I used the de ironised water also, cheap as chips.

Chris