Trunnion lubrication

I am starting to reassemble the front suspension on my 5 and I see that Moss recommend an EP90 oil for the lower trunnions and not grease. I was wondering if that is in fact the best lubricant or might a steering box oil be better due to it still being an oil but much thicker.

Will be very interested to hear any views please.

Many thanks 

Tim

Tim,

first, your trunnions need to be sealed, so nothing leaks thru.

Oil ist too thin, grease is too thick.

I made a mix between grease LM47 and EP90 Oil....the mix has the consistency of honey....works very well.

Anyways, no matter what you use...as long as you use something.

Jochem

As Waldi states the bottom of the trunnion needs sealing. I would suggest soft solder.  Do it before contaminating with oil/grease

How about a semi fluid grease  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/dynolite-semi-fluid-grease-1kg-ggl843110.html

I normally use a basic LM grease - it works well.

Roger

Edited by RogerH
3 hours ago, RogerH said:

As Waldi states the bottom of the trunnion needs sealing. I would suggest soft solder.  Do it before contaminating with oil/grease

How about a semi fluid grease  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/dynolite-semi-fluid-grease-1kg-ggl843110.html

I normally use a basic LM grease - it works well.

Roger

+ 1 on using steering box semi fluid grease in trunions (or even EP140) - have used both for over 30 years but now only use steering box fluid as it goes in, and stays in the dedicated grease gun.

Peter W

Hi,

I take oil (on every sealed housing) because my trunnions do not loose oil.

I think oil could also be good on the wheel bearings? But there is no way to get them sealed......

Whatever you do, main thing is you lubricate them regularly.

Ciao Marco

Many thanks for your views. Mixed opinions as expected. I think that fluid grease/ steering lube will be the option that I will go with especially as the steering lube is in the garage!

Thanks,

Tim

Edited by Tim T
Spelling error
  • 2 weeks later...

Since 1963, I have used nothing but Castrol LM on ALL the grease points, including trunnions, on my TRs.

As stated above, the important thing is that there should be a lubricant in the moving parts, that it should be clean, that it should remain in place but be refreshed regularly.  Nothing is sealed for life (death?) on a TR.

Ian Cornish

• 2 weeks later...