Inflation of the sort we had during the 70s onwards hadn't happened in 1960.

I started work the in 'Big City' as a clerk in 1968 on the princely sum of £6 per

week plus a 1LB bag of tea! (It was a tea and rubber brokers).

Weekly train fare was £1/10/-.Didn't leave much for Mum and the Messerschmidt KR200, so

even a £2 entry fee would have stretch me somewhat! Petrol was 4/10d if I remember.

Bottle of brown ale 1/9d. 10 Number 6 fags ditto!

Were they the days?

Roger M-E

4 hours ago, roger murray-evans said:

I found this letter inside the front cover of a TR2 Factory workshop manual

I purchased off Ebay.

Seems things were slightly more relaxed in a simpler world!

Roger M-E1613705368_TriumphRacelettera.png.bfb30427abdd60da5aef14d6f5747521.png1440118197_Triumphraceletter.thumb.png.248afb86e1ef27d334cf3a7ee6689448.png

That's a lucky find Roger, and in its way more valuable than the manual it was left in. Workshop manuals can give quite a lot away about previous owners. I have a BMC manual where someone has made notes on when the car was serviced and mileage etc, clear fingerprints where someone has turned the pages, an owner who might now be long gone and calculations in pencil using long division. Remember that? And can you still do it?..and the reverse with multiplication, all things we were taught at school but regrettably rarely use these days.

The letter reflects the warmth, sincerity and simplicity of the day, much like receiving a bag of tea as a perk to top up your wage...nice touches that you don't often get these days unfortunately.

Kevin