TR archeology sort of

Gents,

I am going through my parts bins and unearthed a NOS wiper motor CRT model dated 6/1953. Interestingly still in wax wrapping and original Joe Lucas Box. There are a series of dates when it was checked, perhaps when stores took care of stock?

Is it unreasonable to suppose that on a very Sub TS 500 car that items fitted could/would come from old stock (6-7 months ) at the factory. I understand that you got what was in the store e.g gauges etc. Given the very limited production (tens of cars) of the very early cars in the first few months of production it seems to me that this is possible.

Thoughts welcome rather than a hit piece.

Rod

1 hour ago, Rodbr said:

Gents,

I am going through my parts bins and unearthed a NOS wiper motor CRT model dated 6/1953. Interestingly still in wax wrapping and original Joe Lucas Box. There are a series of dates when it was checked, perhaps when stores took care of stock?

Is it unreasonable to suppose that on a very Sub TS 500 car that items fitted could/would come from old stock (6-7 months ) at the factory. I understand that you got what was in the store e.g gauges etc. Given the very limited production (tens of cars) of the very early cars in the first few months of production it seems to me that this is possible.

Thoughts welcome rather than a hit piece.

Rod

Hi Rod

Lucas wiper motors normally seem dated around 1 month prior to the car being on the assembly line.

I'm not sure what motor you have (DR3)? but this model would probably have been used on other vehicles such as the Vanguard or 8/10, and indeed other manufacturers, so stock production and rotation would have almost certainly been faster than a 6-7 month period, so not a likely scenario - in my opinion.

Kevin

Kevin

56 minutes ago, Rodbr said:

kevin,

My early 2 was fitted with the CRT wiper motor not sure about DR3?

Okay yes slightly different in shape , but believe they were common to other Standard Triumph vehicles like the Vanguard for instance and other manufacturers so likely it would have been fitted fairly shortly after its manufacture as it would seem not unique to the early TR2.

Kevin