Repro Commission Plates

Whilst browsing on a well known online auction site for a few bits, I spotted an advert for nicely made Reproduction Commission Plates.  The one claimed to be for early TR6's includes the lettering 'A Member of the British Leyland Motor Company' ...The advert says...'up to approx. CP54500 check. No start number is given, and it has the etched lettering below... BS. AU48 1965.

Well my early 1969 TR6 CP Plate makes no mention of 'Leyland'...only...The Standard Triumph Motor Company...and has that same etched ...BS.AU48 1965.

The sellor goes on to say they have fully researched the Triumph plates details. They do produce a later plate for the CR cars and they also produce a plate for the TR5 ...which is the exact same wording as the original plate on my TR6 (presumable Triumph continued using up their existing stock of TR5 plates during the earliest period of TR6 manufacturing) ...Except the Repro plate doesn't have the etched BS. AU48 1965 at the bottom.

So...if you are doing an Accurate Restoration of a very 'early' TR6 (up to what Number?) and are planning to add a Repro plate...I can't see that any of the three repro plates on offer are correct... pretty as they are! 

Edited by CP26309
addition

My car is CP26093 and has the same plate as yours does, no mention of Leyland.

Same here. Originality is best by a long way

The early commission plate as shown by TR Graham is indeed correct for all UK PI TR6  up to CP26988 except for the first few hundred 69  cars which showed an incorrect weight of 2690lbs which was presumably a carryover from the TR5. From CP50001 the commission plate did change to include the wording  " A member of the British Leyland Motor Corporation" . There were further changes to the wording from mid run in the CP75000 series and then from early in the CR series and a further change from circa CR6600. In total there are in the order of 18 different styles of commission plates fitted to the TR6 depending on the model, the market and whether RHD or LHD. 

cheers

Derek 

16 hours ago, CP26309 said:

Whilst browsing on a well known online auction site for a few bits, I spotted an advert for nicely made Reproduction Commission Plates.  The one claimed to be for early TR6's includes the lettering 'A Member of the British Leyland Motor Company' ...The advert says...'up to approx. CP54500 check. No start number is given, and it has the etched lettering below... BS. AU48 1965.

Well my early 1969 TR6 CP Plate makes no mention of 'Leyland'...only...The Standard Triumph Motor Company...and has that same etched ...BS.AU48 1965.

The sellor goes on to say they have fully researched the Triumph plates details. They do produce a later plate for the CR cars and they also produce a plate for the TR5 ...which is the exact same wording as the original plate on my TR6 (presumable Triumph continued using up their existing stock of TR5 plates during the earliest period of TR6 manufacturing) ...Except the Repro plate doesn't have the etched BS. AU48 1965 at the bottom.

So...if you are doing an Accurate Restoration of a very 'early' TR6 (up to what Number?) and are planning to add a Repro plate...I can't see that any of the three repro plates on offer are correct... pretty as they are! 

Hi CP26309

Thanks for the message.

The ones that are noted as early CP plates are correct as Derek mentions for cars from approx CP26989 to approx CP54500. As mentioned, before CP26988 they used what appears to be a TR5 plate. This is something that I have found out since listing the CP plates. As Derek says, there are a lot of variants for the TR6. The eBay listings will be updated to reflect this info.

The TR5 ones on eBay were the closest that I had - they are in fact the same as some TR4A ones.

Roger

Just another thought a year or so ago I was watching an American Car show at Auction, and the local police turned up after hearing that several cars were being offered for sale had VIN tags that weren't permanently fixed, and those cars had to be withdrawn from the sale!...So I went out to my garage and sure enough my paint shop back in 1988 had reattached my Commission plate with cross head screws!!! So I re riveted it to the inner wheel arch! Phew!

7 hours ago, stuart said:

A correct repro TR5 early TR6 com plate 

E07DFE90-FDFD-417E-9D86-C34DB23AB953.jpeg

To be pedantic pity they didn't tab  'Gross Laden Weight' just slightly to the left so as it lines up with the type above as per original. I did obtain a plate from a well known TR source specifically for my March '69 TR6, but it has only Triumph Motor Co Ltd on it which I think is incorrect.

Kevin