Technical assistance please

Morning all...beautiful morning out here, so thought I’d take the 6 for a spin. Alas, no start. Battery is fully charged and I have tried another, which is also full but it sounds as if there maybe is a drain somewhere (?) as the battery sounds as if it is dying very quickly, which is isn’t because it remains fully charged. Jump leads from another car also give nothing. Any thoughts gratefully received. Thank you...

Hi,

i guess you mean the car turns over much more slowly than usual?

if this is the case I would start by checking all the main connections from the battery, I.e battery to starter motor, battery to earth and engine to earth. If all look ok do any get warm after trying to start the car. If yes this would indicate a poor connection that needs cleaning.

when was it last used?

Dave

Thank you Dave. The car turns over but the battery seems to die very quickly. It was used a few weeks ago when, incidentally, it wouldn’t start again after a long run - same symptoms....turn the key and battery sounds dead. I’m sure the battery (ies) are all good so will check all other connections. Appreciate the help...

If you can measure the volts over the battery poles this is a good indication. It should be over 12.5V when not cranking, and stay above 9.5-10V when cranking. If it hardly drops when crancking, there may be a loose connection in one of the wires.

If it drops say below 9.5V, the battery is empry or defective.

Waldi

welcome to the forum by the way.

maybe you can introduce yourselve at a more convenient moment?

Good luck with the starting.

Waldi

Does the car turn over normally at first and then slows down, or is it just slow from the start?

When jumped from the other car was the engine running on the other car and did the TR do the same as with its battery?

As Waldi says would be nice to know a bit about the car, where you are and a name.

Good Luck

Dave

Thanks both of you. No, battery sounds almost dead from first turn of the key, then dies completely very quickly. Use it in another (modern) car and it works fine.  

And yes, the other car was revving hard when trying to jump start - same thing. A bit more life but it still died very quickly. 

Of course, yes I will update my profile. Thanks for the assistance. 

Let us know what you find when you check all the connections, on the starter motor, the earth strap to body and earth to engine, and if any of them get warm straight after trying to start.

If they are all ok, i would take all the plugs out just to see if the engine then spins over fast and freely. 

Dave

Sounds like the starter. Has it been out and incorrectly reinstalled? Sometimes the pinion jams on the flywheel ring gear if this is the case.

Could try jump staring with the negative terminal connected to the block  somewhere close to the starter- this would eliminate most earthing problems. If it was my problem I'd also  hit the starter terminal directly with the positive jump lead to see how freely it turned- but you need to be prepared for a few sparks with this  process.

Edited by Mike C