We also visited the inside of Cowley Lock on the Grand Union Canal. Just look at that magnificent brickwork base.

007621E0-A018-4658-A639-A01B3D23E795.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tim,

we have been to the Bull & Butcher many times since the mid 70's.

Sadly it has been changed by the various trendy new/young managers and lost some of its old character.

We tend to pop into the Chequers in Fingest opposite the church.

Roger

Ah yes, Fingist not Turville. For several years, I've only sat in the garden at the Bull and Butcher so haven't had to face the change of character too much. 

I must try the Cheques in Fingist. I don't think I've ever been in!

3 hours ago, TorontoTim said:

Ah yes, Fingist not Turville. For several years, I've only sat in the garden at the Bull and Butcher so haven't had to face the change of character too much. 

I must try the Cheques in Fingist. I don't think I've ever been in!

Tim, the Chequers has improved as the Bull and Butcher has declined food wise.  The LL of the Chequers is a Savoy trained Chef and the food there is excellent. The menu is quite limited though, the LL is not often in the kitchen now but oversees his young chefs.

In the summer the LL is sometimes seen cooking the fresh pizzas in the huge pizza oven in the also huge garden, Friday, Saturdays and Sundays summer only.

its a very good alternative to the Miller and Carter we were discussing before, it depends on what is required.

Edited by SuzanneH

Ha ha, good one. A very similar film was filmed here too, 

“Oh it’s the POSH POSH travelling life , travelling life for me.”

Lionel Jeffries probably flew over this pub in his shed,  from the Windmill on the top of the hill.