Trailing arm studs

Hi all been reading a lot about the trailing arm studs/helicoils unf vs unc  A lot of the posts were from seven or eight years ago what is the best solution  i’m thinking UNC  and using Loctite  to hold them in   am I  on the right track or should I just go with 5/16 UNF and use existing studs I’ve  even had one suggestion to leave them alone basically if it’s not broke don’t fix it is it a mod that should be done many thanks John 

Hi John,

indeed 'if it ain't broke don;t fix it' is true.

You could give the studs a test by applying the max torque figure PLUS 10%. If they feel OK keep them.

If they need changing then give a thought to the size of stud. 3/8 UNC sounds much better but consider that the original, 5/16unf,  have lasted 50 years.

The 3/8 UNC do not need helicoils - but you remain with stud in Ali configuration.  I would not use Loctite.

5/16 UNF + helicoil gives a very strong bond - the helicoil giving a serious sideways grip - thus less tendency to strip the threads etc.

IF you do replace the studs you WILL need an alignment jig to keep the holes perfectly square etc.  I can help there. 

roger

Hi all I’ve  just done the  test suggested by Roger starts starting to strip so it’s gonna have to be helicoils many thanks for reply’s will let you know how I get on . John 

+1 for the CDD shouldered studs, 3/8 unc x 5/16 unf only thing is the new threads need to be deep enough so that none of the 3/8 shoulder is proud of the hole but also not too deep otherwise the stud will turn when fitting the nyloc nut. I used a dab of studlock and left overnight before final assembly.  Roger, can you expand on your comment on locktite. 

Chris

Hi Chris,

Triumph went for UNF on the stud in the Ali to stop the tendency of the stud vibrating free.  These have last a very long time.

Loctite should not be required simply because it never was required.

The 3/8 UNC does not give you the vibration security that the UNF does.

Why reinvent the wheel.  I feel the CDD studs are wrong.

Roger