Hopefully not a too daft question about a nasty noise.

Dave,

because the noise stops when you touch the pipe, itvis likely not to be cavitation.

Cavitation is caused by a low suction head (read: enough inlet pressure with cold enough fuel).

If you fill the tank with cold fuel and it stops, it is probably cavitation.

But if changing the fuel pipe route stops the vibration, it is more likely vibrations coming from own (natural) frequency of the hose and/or scattering of the prv, as experienced by Mark.

A longer rubber hose may solve this, or a diaphragm type prv, like Revington is selling. Both are acting as a pulsation damper (reducing pressure pulsations by changing natural frequency's).

Waldi

Is the pump to PRV hose touching the body of the car? With my lucas set up, resonation is very loud if the pipe is resting on the bodywork at any point. Mine does because I have routed it behind the pump and across the wheel arch. Fixed this by putting a short length of 22mm plumbing pipe insulation around the pipe at the touching point to separate. Makes a big difference.

Hi Dave my 6 was the same. I changed to the longer TR5 hose which helped a little but the only fix iwas to replace the PRV with a new item. 

I had fitted a recon item that went loud after 800 miles.  After speaking to The reconditioning company it turned out they were unable to bench test their PRVs  and recommended a brand new item.

The brand new one has been fine for over 3000 miles..

Cheers Laurence.

Thanks gents, The TR  had a new Bosch pump fitted and refurbished standard PRV by Neil.

Have managed to stop it, although i thought i had before, by wedging a piece of foam between the pipe and bodywork/tank.

When its making the noise i cant feel the PRV resonating but the pipe is resonating badly.

Like the idea of the pipe insulation as a possible quick cheap fix, will give the a go before changing pipes and the PRV.

Dave

Dave,

I also have a new Bosch pump and the prv overhauled by Neil.

Only a couple of hrs on my engine, but works ok.

The moment the vibrations start however, I will convert to the diaphragm type prv, like Andrew did (see earlier post in this topic).

According to Neil Revington this is due to the higher flow of the Bosch pump, compared to the Lucas pump. See article on his web site.

Good luck,

Waldi

• 3 weeks later...

Out in 6 today in the lovely sun and the bloody man in the boot with the VuVuzela started once again.

It seems worse when it's warmer.

Cant feel any vibration on the PRV.

It just the hose from the Bosch pump to the PRV.

Seen the posts about the diaphragm PRV but as i cant feel the existing one vibrating I'm reluctant to change it.

The hose one the other hand is going like mad. managed to stop it by pushing the pipe to one side, but only very short term and came back within a few seconds of driving off.

The one i have is like the one in this picture, cloth covered rubber.

Is it a good idea to start with a new pipe, if so which type and should it be longer.

Thanks

Dave

DYJIvgIJQ1K2g3ULDFSbXQ_thumb_cab.jpg

Agree with Dave, worked for me