Hopefully not a too daft question about a nasty noise.

After the elation of getting our restoration out on the road and driving around locally it developed a nasty consistent squeal.

At the risk of sounding daft trying to explain a noise with words on a forum here I go.

All i can say is that it is similar to a whistle on a kettle when boiling but not quite as high pitched.

It is a constant pitch and level, revving the engine, depressing the clutch makes no difference to the sound. When driving at various speeds it sounds the same.

Turn the engine off, leave it a minute, re start and its gone but comes back after a short period.

It is coming from under the car somewhere but so far it cant be located.

Sounded like it could have been the exhaust but don't think its that, and not the Bosch Pump.

I know it's a long shot but does anybody have any thoughts on what it could be or how to locate it.

Fingers crossed 

Dave

Just now, barkerwilliams said:

Is the car a TR6 PI?

If so then investigate fuel pump resonance. Often this is attributed to the steel braided hoses.

Alan

Hi,

Yes it is a PI.

Thanks

Dave

56 minutes ago, cookie said:

After the elation of getting our restoration out on the road and driving around locally it developed a nasty consistent squeal.

At the risk of sounding daft trying to explain a noise with words on a forum here I go.

All i can say is that it is similar to a whistle on a kettle when boiling but not quite as high pitched.

It is a constant pitch and level, revving the engine, depressing the clutch makes no difference to the sound. When driving at various speeds it sounds the same.

Turn the engine off, leave it a minute, re start and its gone but comes back after a short period.

It is coming from under the car somewhere but so far it cant be located.

Sounded like it could have been the exhaust but don't think its that, and not the Bosch Pump.

I know it's a long shot but does anybody have any thoughts on what it could be or how to locate it.

Fingers crossed 

Dave

Hi Dave, 

Is it the water pump?

Kind Regards,

Dave from sunny Spain

Thanks guys, definitely not coming from the engine area, not fan belt, pump or alternator. 

Its somewhere under the car from bell housing back to the very back. Loud but hard to isolate.

Still there with foot on clutch and pitch stays the same at all revs. Turn engine off, restart and it’s gone, but a few minutes later comes back.

Totally confused and a tad worried.

thanks

Dave

I'd have a look at the fuel pump, especially if it's a Bosch mounted in the wheel arch, the PRV and the PRV return line to the tank.

They're the only things in that area of the car that operate under the conditions you describe and that can make the high pitch whistling noise.

Almost guaranteed it is the Bosch pump cavitating.

Mine does this occasionally. Turn it off and restart and it disappears. Mine seems to do it when I put a big load on it, like giving it heaps in 3rd.  It doesn't affect normal driving as I have continued driving for some kms with it squealing.

Check that the lines to it are clear and filters in the lines are clear.

My Bosch pump was like an angry bee turned out it was a little bit os seal from a Petrol can gone hard and jammed itself in to the Petrol tank outlet, the pump made a right racket

Edited by Paul Hill
2 hours ago, Waldi said:

Is the sound only when driving or also when standing still with the engine running?

Waldi

Hi Waldi,

yes both stationary and moving.

Dave

1 hour ago, Andrew Smith said:

Does it sound like this? - if so it resonance in the fuel hoses:

Cheers, Andrew

Brilliant example, yes it does sound like that.

So this is a totally new one on me, I guess once the noise starts, check the fuel pipes.

thanks

Dave

Both stationary and while driving rules out the rear drive end, wheels, suspension and part of the gearbox, so that’s good. And since the noise is independent of rpm, it probably also not comes from the engine or rest of GB. Is the noise also present when you only have the pump running, or does the engine need to be “on” too?

Waldi

10 minutes ago, Waldi said:

Both stationary and while driving rules out the rear drive end, wheels, suspension and part of the gearbox, so that’s good. And since the noise is independent of rpm, it probably also not comes from the engine or rest of GB. Is the noise also present when you only have the pump running, or does the engine need to be “on” too?

Waldi

Hi,

Going to have a look at the Car in an hour or so, will to some checking a let you know.

thanks

Dave

41 minutes ago, cookie said:

Brilliant example, yes it does sound like that.

So this is a totally new one on me, I guess once the noise starts, check the fuel pipes.

thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

Have a look at this thread; https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/53992-fuel-pump-issues-brakes/&tab=comments#comment-445435

The photos I posted have disappeared, but have added the photo of the braided hose fitted by the PO (far too long) and the Diaphragm PRV set-up which cured the problem:  Edit: ignore the reference to refitting the Lucas pump, that was another TR6.

Cheers, Andrew

P1010088.JPG

P1010087.JPG

P1010094.JPG

Edited by Andrew Smith

Hi All,

Well they say you learn something every day, certainly learnt something today.

Took the car out for a short ride, all ok, then the noise started. Drove it back and took out all the boot cards, after a bit of poking about turns out it's the pipe from the pump to the PRV.

Could hear and feel it, moving slightly caused to noise to stop. As a temp bodge have wedged some foam behind it and so far the noise hasn't come back.

Not sure what to do for a permanent fix yet though.

Thank you so much to all of you for your help, it would have taken ages to have worked that out having never heard of this before.

Nice weekend to take it out for its first decent run.

Thanks again

Dave

Hi Dave,

very good:)

Is your hose rubber or a teflon with woven metal (braided) around it?

The rubber hose acts as a vibration damper (sort off), the ptfe item does not.

if the rubber wedge fully solved it and the hose is in good condition, I would be inclined to leave it.

Regards,

Waldi

Cookie I have put up for sale the very pipe you need I paid £64 from TR Shop it was never used. Yours for £38

1 hour ago, Waldi said:

Hi Dave,

very good:)

Is your hose rubber or a teflon with woven metal (braided) around it?

The rubber hose acts as a vibration damper (sort off), the ptfe item does not.

if the rubber wedge fully solved it and the hose is in good condition, I would be inclined to leave it.

Regards,

Waldi

Hi Waldi,

All the fuel lines and pump were renewed during the restoration so in very good condition. The pipe is rubber, not steel braided.

Will leave it for now to see if it re occurs.

Thank You

Dave

1 hour ago, Paul Hill said:

Cookie I have put up for sale the very pipe you need I paid £64 from TR Shop it was never used. Yours for £38

Hi Paul,

All fuel lines and pipes are reasonably new.

Thank you for the offer but think i will stick with the one i have for now.

Dave

If you can't hear the noise from the chattering spring type PRV I don't think it will cause any further damage. I suspect the hose changes don't stop the chattering-they just dampen the acoustic component of any noises.

My Bosch pump/Lucas PRV setup still makes a buzzing  noise - when starting I use the change in buzzing  frequency to tell when the PI system piping is full and it's time to crank the engine.

Edited by Mike C
  • 1 month later...

So the dreaded man with the VuVuzela in the boot returned today.

Intermittent this time but still there.

The pipe from the pump is cotton (i think) braided rubber.

When its making the noise can really feel the pipe resonating but not the PRV. Moving it about eventually stops it.

Have seen other posts on this, but what is the actual cause, is there more than one cause.

Thanks

Dave

My Lucas pump was screeching like a banshee moving rubber feed pipe to prv altered frequency but wouldn’t stop, tapped the brass section of the pump with a ring spanner and noise stopped immediately. Not returned since.

Edited by Mark69