TR4a vertical links

So on the front vertical links where the front hub and trunnion bearing surfaces are clean and shiny; is that a special (hardened?) finish or could it be rubbed with a very fine wire wool and a light oil? One of mine has some slight surface pitting which might do with a little smoothing

Appreciate your thoughts

Rgds David

I would put your housekeeping tendencies to one side, the surface pitting will not hurt the fit of components (as long as it's a subterranean occurrence) but a well intentioned smoothing operation calculated to remove the pits may cause spinning on components where a thou removed may make it unacceptable.

Mick Richards   

12 hours ago, qkingston said:

So on the front vertical links where the front hub and trunnion bearing surfaces are clean and shiny; is that a special (hardened?) finish or could it be rubbed with a very fine wire wool and a light oil? One of mine has some slight surface pitting which might do with a little smoothing

Appreciate your thoughts

Rgds David

Hi David,

have you got a photo of the pits.  As Mick states rubbing away the pitting may affect the seal contact.

Also pitting is a stress raise . So, is the pitting enough to cause a stress crack(and they do break off); or are there many miles left in it. Decision time.

Roger

the slight roughness was caused during shot blasting where the blast got through the electrical tape I had wound around the bearing surfaces; its nearer the mid section which will sit inside the hub rather than on the surface where the inner/outer bearings run on, so think it should be fine. The actual condition of the vertical link/stub axle is very good

Rgds

David