TR4 WIPER WOES

It's driving me nuts.....can't seem to keep wiper arms on wheel boxes if screen is slightly dry.  Has anyone ever successfully drilled a small hole through the assembly and physically restrained the arm to the wheelbox with a split pin or similar>

Ideas and forebodings welcomed!   Best wishes    Willie

Hi Willie,

last June I had a problem with my drivers side arm. It is the type that has the internal wedge that you pull up with a screw,

No matter how tight I got the screw or even packing  the wdge the thing would fly off after about a dozen wipes.

I could not see anything wrong. I bought a new wiper arm of the same design and bingo - it stays put.

Roger

I drilled mine through the centre looking face on about 15 years ago and retain with a single SS self taping screw in each arm, it’s hardly noticeable.

Chris

1931F1C6-4A01-4BAB-9467-3F052D7D5052.jpeg

Willie

Last year my driver wiper slipped on the splines when the screen was a bit too dry, even though I had new wipers and new wheel boxes. I pu it down to poor quality components and replaced the wiper with one that screw tightens, as Roger described. It still slipped! I then realised that it wasn't slipping on the splines, it was the wire rack that was slipping in the wheel box! A morning under the dash got it sorted - the rack just wasn't engaged properly; it's been fine since. Not sure if you've had your wheel boxes & rack apart recently, but if so it might be worth checking.

Jeff

If the rack is slipping in the wheel box it is possible with parts removed to fettle the wheel box with a vice and small hammer to adjust the amount of engagement with the pinion. Even some new components need this to get good engagement. 

Also if components are old and worn, before removing from car mark the pinion and when reassembling to the rack move it round about 120 deg so an unworn part of the pinion engages with the rack. 

Chris 

+1 Chris. I had exactly this problem with a pair of repro wheel boxes 10 years ago. Unfortunately I did not rigorously check the system before reassembling everything but with all new parts I didn't think it necessary. As you say, it is a simple job to reshape the wheel box to bring the gear in as close a contact as possible with the rack without any binding. The wheel boxes have been fine since. I might add that when I explained the problem to the TR Shop from which company I had sourced the items at a Stoneleigh show they were very apologetic and told me it was a known issue at the time and I should have been alerted to the potential problem and fix at purchase. They did offer me one remaining pair of NOS Lucas items at an eye watering £179 plus VAT but I politely declined and, as I said the re-shaped repro items have been fine ever since.

Tim

The problem is if you are having to screw down the arm to the splines then something is wrong, most likely one of the two tapered splines or both are on the point of being worn out. A split pin is unlikely to work for long as it is a tight taper joint, not just held together.

I think its wise at this stage to renew both items, as I think you’ll soon have a situation where the wheelbox turns but the arm jumps or fails to move, especially with regular driving and most likely when it’s stair rodding!

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

While it might not look too pretty Kevin isn't the answer to drill a hole through the side of the wiper arm spline and drill and tap a matching hole in the wheel box spindle for a suitable set screw which when fitted would positively prevent any movement between arm and spindle. I have seen this done.

Tim

A couple years ago I fitted some new repro. wheel boxes. When I fitted the old wiper  arms they  would not fix firmly to the splines. I bought new arms (Trico as fitted originally), same problem. When I fitted the new arms to the old wheel boxes they fitted and held. So, in my opinion the problem of wiper arms not fitting to the splines of repro. wheelboxes is due to the splines not being up to scratch. To resolve the problem I bought a pair of “heavy duty” ones from Revingtons, the clamp sort. When fitting them I pushed them hard onto the splines and the tightened the screws up tight. No problems since. I think the solution shown by Chris could weaken the shaft that holds the splined end on depending on the size of the self tapping screw.

In my view another case of repro parts not being up to the required standard.

Graham

2 hours ago, tim hunt said:

While it might not look too pretty Kevin isn't the answer to drill a hole through the side of the wiper arm spline and drill and tap a matching hole in the wheel box spindle for a suitable set screw which when fitted would positively prevent any movement between arm and spindle. I have seen this done.

Tim

Hi Tim

Yes either that or a roll pin may be which pins both sides of the arm knuckle to the splines, but my only reservation with a split pin was that it would eventually wear the hole, and similarly I wonder if a set screw might soon come loose and open up the hole with the constant forward/ reverse action of the wiper arm?

However, not seen set screwing of the assembly done so don't have any experience of this. 

Regards

Kevin

Although a roll pin will stop the arm turning it will not hold the arm down onto the spindle. There is a slight taper between the two components which is why I think my screw from the front is better as it forces the two parts together. My wheelboxes are at least 30 years old maybe older, arms are about 10 but there is no movement at all and yet they can easily be dismantled. You will need a new good quality drill to drill the spindles, maybe 2 or 3. It can be done on the car. (I did mine) ; To drill through the side I would think you would need to take the wheel boxes off and use a pillar drill and vice and preferably a centre drill to start the hole.

Chris

Edited by ChrisR-4A
Missspelt
15 minutes ago, ChrisR-4A said:

Although a roll pin will stop the arm turning it will not hold the arm down onto the spindle. There is a slight taper between the two components which is why I think my screw from the front is better as it forces the two parts together. My wheelboxes are at least 30 years old maybe older, arms are about 10 but there is no movement at all and yet they can easily be dismantled. You will need a new good quality drill to drill the spindles, maybe 2 or 3. It can be done on the car. (I did mine) ; To drill through the side I would think you would need to take the wheel boxes off and use a pillar drill and vice and preferably a centre drill to start the hole.

Chris

Hi Chris

Have you checked the stainless spring clip on the wiper arm?

It’s supposed to engage over the bottom edge of the spline assembly to lock the arm in place. I have a 4a but don’t have issues with it coming off so worth looking at that perhaps. You can screw it down but if there is wear and the spline is turning even slightly inside the arm, it won’t be long before it strips the splines on both. Only issue with a roll pin is it’s going to be a fiddly job to get it dead straight through in situ, and if off the car you might need to adjust the arm fore or aft after refitting it all and you won’t be able to. There is also Tim’s bolt option but again no adjustment.

TEX are a pretty decent make and there is a pair of wiper arms on ebay but you might need to change the wheelboxes as well as a worn arm will eventually damage the mating splines.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR4-TR4A-TR5-TR250-Genuine-TEX-Windscreen-Wiper-Arms-RHD-/272265753146

Kevin

I like Chris’ repair method over a pin. It helps rhe taper to to it’s job and does not weaken the spindle, as only material in the centre is drilled out, which Has very limited impact on the strength of the spindle

Waldi

Hi Guys, in the end I attempted the drill-through option, but found the 1.5mm brand new bit would only penetrate about half way. I tried to apply a tad extra pressure, but the bit sheared off. NS now has that pin. Fine until the arm has to come off. Wiper rack is OK on my car. Drivers side I intially drilled the hole in the wrong place. Redrilled in better location, had the bit shear as NS, but got it out. The arm is tight on the spindle [Revington arms and wipers fitted late last year]. I have pushed a piece of garden wire into the 2 holes and will see if it works. Pic attached - not obvious unless you look for it!

Best wishes    Willie114799042_4.OSarmhalfdrilledwithwirein2holes-Copy.thumb.JPG.c94077ab4662429582f38c9b1c467de2.JPG