manual washer water pump

Hi there TR drivers,

the manual washer water pump (windscreen / wipers) on my TR4A did not work anymore (did it ever work?).

I put it completely in pieces looking for the fault, also both no-return valves, one in the pump and the one in the water bottle.

Cleaned erverything, cannot find any fault, put it together again - it should work, but does not!

Moss and Rimmer offer new ones, both looking slightly different.

My querestion: is there a chance these pumps work relaiable and or some years?

Ciao / Cheers, Marco

The manual pump on my TR4 failed 4 years ago when the rubber inside the pump disintegrated and the small particles filled and blocked the tubes to the squirter nozzles.  Having completely purged the tubing of the debris, I replaced the pump with one of Moss's manual pumps.  Still working!

Moss has a clever design which serves for both MGs and Triumphs - on TRs, one outlet is closed with a part in the kit.

Ian Cornish

I have done similar with a standard pull switch, taken the latch out and fitted a spring return to run an electric pump, with the original knob fitted its looks the same.

Stuart.

Hi all, thanks for your answers,

I want to keep it as simple as possible to avoid another project that keeps we away from driving,

also it's bezel is broken, so I will buy a new manual pump, but the one from Rimmer, looks the same, also 3 nozzles.

Price is the same, but Rimmer's shipping fee is much lower than Moss'. In this case that makes the price.

Ciao, Marco 

Edited by Z320
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the new pump today, indeed it is worth the money, works lovely with a flip-over when pumping.

What looks like cheap plastic at the online shop is brass! My self made bezel tool fits a little bit tight but it works.

I should have buy this pump earlier.

Hello Marco

I have posted this advice before somewhere. Never use modern screen wash with the manual screen wash pumps. The ethanol in the solution rots the rubber bellows inside leaving you with a lump of disintegrated rubber. I just put a few drops of washing up liquid (soap) into the wash bottle.

Keith

On 2/28/2019 at 2:59 PM, keith1948 said:

Hello Marco

I have posted this advice before somewhere. Never use modern screen wash with the manual screen wash pumps. The ethanol in the solution rots the rubber bellows inside leaving you with a lump of disintegrated rubber. I just put a few drops of washing up liquid (soap) into the wash bottle.

Keith

Hi Keith,

thank you for this advice, that sounds very logical but was not in my mind.

The dashboard and pump is still out, because some friends influenced me with a very new and very interesting TR project....

Ciao Marco