Hi,

are you saying that the square drive i9s spinning in the gear shaft?

Many years ago this happened to me. I drilled out the broken drive cable and pushed in  the end of a Spitfire drive cable. Not sure why I didn't use a TR cable.

Check out the rest of the drive cable as something made that break. Is the long drive cable free to rotate.?

Roger

Hi,

As Roger says, check the the long cable is free, ..... also check that the speedo rotates freely ....... (the head sometimes binds due to lack of lubrication), if all is OK then the angle drive can be repaired with an epoxy glue and give a long service life .... (well my one has been working repaired like that for several years).

Cheers Rob

One of the big problems with these AD's is the meshing of the gears.

Because of slack/play in the assembly they can feel very lumpy - as if about to get jammed.

Use shims etc to get the gears in very good alignment. so they rotate smoothly.

Roger

About 9 years ago mine failed due to a ceased speedo which broke the short link between the angle drive and gearbox. I replaced this with a piece of suitably sized keyway steel hand finished to be a tight fit in the angle drive and just slide in the gearbox. Still ok today over. 30000 miles later. I have repaired one other for a friend about 5 years ago and it’s still going strong. All done with basic tools.

Chris

13 hours ago, tr6tuga said:

Yes for the @€%#time this angle drive is spinning free, this one lasted 2k

It's the welding of the square axel that didn't hold. 

Is there a way to get that fixed? 

Thank you for the help 

IMG_20190218_230249.jpg

IMG_20190218_230337.jpg

IMG_20190218_223714.jpg

13 hours ago, tr6tuga said:

Yes for the @€%#time this angle drive is spinning free, this one lasted 2k

It's the welding of the square axel that didn't hold. 

Is there a way to get that fixed? 

Thank you for the help 

IMG_20190218_230249.jpg

IMG_20190218_230337.jpg

IMG_20190218_223714.jpg

Hi, This is exactly what happened to mine from David Manners,although they did replace it. I did hear that it could be brazed.

Kind Regards,  from Dave from Spain, currently in hospital recovering after a hip replacement.

I just love this forum there are always helping hands :)

Actually there was slack on the cable route, which I think was the cause, left hand drive the cable makes a long way to speedometer...all the other clues were checked and they were OK. I have a go with epoxy, and get it balanced as Roger says. 

Dave Quick recovery, and where are you?

I'm in Porto 

I live in Albatera in Alicante Region

Kind Regards

Dave from Spain

i have heard that TRGB have designed one that is better than the original. Although not used it and it is expensive.

Dave

I had to have a custom angle drive made when I fitted a Jaguar Saloon OD gearbox into my E-type, Speedograph Richfield made it and it worked fine, they could make you a new angle drive.

3 hours ago, iani said:

I had to have a custom angle drive made when I fitted a Jaguar Saloon OD gearbox into my E-type, Speedograph Richfield made it and it worked fine, they could make you a new angle drive.

Thank you iani, I just weld it (epox) lets see if it works

8 hours ago, tr6tuga said:

Thank you iani, I just weld it (epox) lets see if it works

There is nothing wrong with the Speedograph ones but it is a bit agricultural in manufacture! I my view its best to go to Caerbont Automotive Instruments who have the original Smiths toolimg and produce it exactly the same as OE and no aggro???. They also produce like for like Smiths instruments off the original tooling!  They are well known in the Mini and British Classic motorcycle world for quality!

Bruce.

• 1 year later...

Hi Dave,

I just bought a 71 TR6 with a J-type OD and my speedo has stopped working.

I took apart my angle drive and see that the gear with the square profile cable attached is also free spinning - the cable does not seem to be welded or binded to the gear itself.

What was your fix? and is it still fixed one year later?

I didn't know if I could braze the tip of it or put a drop of epoxy on the end, and maybe a few drops down the tube.

thanks,

Austin in Connecticut, USA

14 hours ago, austin said:

Hi Dave,

I just bought a 71 TR6 with a J-type OD and my speedo has stopped working.

I took apart my angle drive and see that the gear with the square profile cable attached is also free spinning - the cable does not seem to be welded or binded to the gear itself.

What was your fix? and is it still fixed one year later?

I didn't know if I could braze the tip of it or put a drop of epoxy on the end, and maybe a few drops down the tube.

thanks,

Austin in Connecticut, USA

You dont need an angle drive with a "J" type box.

Stuart.