charging up a mobile

Hi Elbanna,

welcome to the forum.

Your TR3 would normally be positive earth. Not sure if any modern parts would align with that.

However if you get a 12V accessory socket https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xin-car+usb+charger+socket.TRS0&_nkw=in-car+usb+charger+socket&_sacat=0

Made with plastic components then the earth polairty shouldn't matter. Then you can plug in a USB charging socket.

Roger

I kept my TR3A as positive ground and used an insulated power outlet mounted as shown in the picture below. There is an inline fuse protecting it and I am aware of the issues of plugging in anything metal that has a grounded case. Our phones and GPS unit are all plastic so I'm not too concerned.

usb-power-X2.jpg

On 2/18/2019 at 5:45 PM, RogerH said:

Hi Elbanna,

welcome to the forum.

Your TR3 would normally be positive earth. Not sure if any modern parts would align with that.

However if you get a 12V accessory socket https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xin-car+usb+charger+socket.TRS0&_nkw=in-car+usb+charger+socket&_sacat=0

Made with plastic components then the earth polairty shouldn't matter. Then you can plug in a USB charging socket.

Roger

Hi Rog,

I fitted a modern 12v socket in TuRK (pos earth) and just reversed the wires/polarity - hasn't caught fire since fitted about 10 years ago.....

Cheers, Andrew

The circular hole is the entrance to the cigar lighter socket, you push the plug up into it. The switch is for something else.

A bit further towards the battery box is the screen washer pump.

Elbanna,

I fitted an accessory (fag lighter) socket to my (Non TR) 12v Postive earth car, (if that is what

you still have) using an existing live feed from the fuse box and earthing to the  car body and

wondered why I blew the socket fuse everytime I plugged in the SATNAV.

After a bit of research I discovered (and I'm sure all the forum electrical experts will already

know),if you wish to retain the existing positive earth on your car, but want to use modern electronics such as

satnavs etc, you must wire the accessory socket direct to the battery terminals.By this I mean the new socket live

wire has to go to the positive or earth terminal on the battery and the socket earth wire must go to the live

terminal on the battery.The socket itself must be one of those all plastic encased jobs that cost nowt

on Ebay and screwed whereever you like, as long as nothing metal within the socket  comes into contact with the car

structure.Basically you are wiring the socket into the car but entirely isolating it's electrical circuit from the rest of the car's

electrical system.

Roger M-E              (Awaiting in trepidation an avalanche of rebuttals!)

I have just found this thread. My car is positive earth. I bought a unit with three sockets and one usb . I wired the earth cable from the socket to A3 with an inline fuse and took the power cable from the charger to a nearby earth point.  I can use the Sat Nav and charge the phone at the same time. It is mounted on the dashboard mounting strip and I used plastic nut and bolt as a precaution. 

It works very well.

Richard & B.