TR2 RESTORATION UPDATE

I did a few videos of the TR2 today. 

It is getting there, all the electrical issues have been resolved and everything works although the overdrive and heater have been tested but are not yet wired in. Brakes, clutch, throttle etc are now complete.

The high port head and carbies will stay until the car has been registered but I have a low port head being crack tested and assembled and hopefully rebuilt 1 1/2"carbies available (thanks David Ferry). The seats are with the upholsterer, the fuel tank is being treated and should be ready next week.

Edited by John McCormack

Apologies, two of the videos didn't work. For some reason youtube won't allow me to create the other two videos, one of the lights and horn and one of the engine bay.

Hello John,

Yes, wow, the factory would not recognise anymore... But, tell us, do you really need a heater in Sydney?!... I decided years ago that they are ‘ballast’ even in freezing UK and Sydney is always glorious weather?!.

... Further, considering your impeccable taste re side screen TR’s and S&S sail yachts - Both undoubtedly the best of the best!! - you will fully understand the ‘ballast reference’ above... We have got  (UK Norwich built - same town that built my Lotus) S&S. - Yours, undoubtedly(?) was manufactured in Oz and - only judging from the TR photo - will not only look immaculate but confidently get you home whatever force 10 the Pacific or other oceans care to throw at you. - You know the S&S 34 has world records to its name? - Did you set one or two of them? 

The engine bay.

Edited by John McCormack
10 minutes ago, Tony_C said:

Hello John,

Yes, wow, the factory would not recognise anymore... But, tell us, do you really need a heater in Sydney?!... I decided years ago that they are ‘ballast’ even in freezing UK and Sydney is always glorious weather?!.

... Further, considering your impeccable taste re side screen TR’s and S&S sail yachts - Both undoubtedly the best of the best!! - you will fully understand the ‘ballast reference’ above... We have got  (UK Norwich built - same town that built my Lotus) S&S. - Yours, undoubtedly(?) was manufactured in Oz and - only judging from the TR photo - will not only look immaculate but confidently get you home whatever force 10 the Pacific or other oceans care to throw at you. - You know the S&S 34 has world records to its name? - Did you set one or two of them? 

I suppose it depends on your feeling for the cold. It does get chilly here (under 15 DegC during the day) and we do club runs to colder climes. In 2017 we spent 3 weeks and 5,000kms in Tasmania. Inland from here in the Blue Mountains and further west it is often close to 0 DegC. 

To be honest, I had two original heaters in good condition so one is in the BRG daily driver and one in this car.

This car will probably only be used on sunny days, not too hot, not too cold. It isn't intended as a daily driver or anywhere near it. I have the short door TR2 and a TR6 for that.

The S&S is seaworthy, I have sailed her to Lord Howe Island (google it) three times, and she is ready to go to sea now. But no, she isn't cosmetically fantastic. My crew made a video of our trip in 2016. It is available here. 

38 minutes ago, John McCormack said:

The engine bay.

I haven't been near any records but I had a bit part in Jessica Watsons round the world trip in that I used my boat to find the best place in Sydney for her to berth on her return. Morning Bird is very similar in fit out to Jessica's yacht except for the hard dodger and the additional stays, I have no intention of sailing south out of Sydney so don't need those items. I do have a Fleming wind vane, demonstrated in the video and a fantastic invention, electric pilot, inner forestay for a storm sail, storm drogue etc. The S&S are beautiful sailing yachts. The same logic as with TRs or the Supermarine Spitfire, if it looks right it will sail, drive or fly right.

Is your S&S a Winfield built S&S34, the same as Edward Heaths Morning Cloud?

Edited by John McCormack

Just had the briefest of scans of the video - thanks, I will look properly - sat having a sundowner in S.E. Asia wishing I was sailing into Sydney Harbour... Ive been lucky(?) enough to sail round the world, most of it quite a few times, and Sydney is out and out the most fantastic natural harbour in the world (and I’ve climbed your bridge!)...

As above and further the video, bizarre but completely normal, impossible to enjoy the challenge at the time (same with rallying, when I did, at any standard) tired, stressed only waiting for the next thing to go wrong just when you don’t need it; loads of money and sacrifices in other areas but, actually the greatest challenge you can see yourself and crew against.. Comfy bed would be too easy!

Anyway.. for now, if you have read Joshua Slocum doesn’t it all come into perspective how sanitised and spoilt we all are compared? - What a character to be able to buy him a drink and just listen and enjoy.. ‘Priceless’ as the ad over in UK goes.. He would have gone due south out of Sydney... no worries!

21 hours ago, foster461 said:

Looks fantastic John. Must be a challenge getting all those long door TR2 details right.

Stan

I was fortunate Stan to buy a car the previous owner had started restoring properly. He had replaced the floors etc and got most of the gaps right.

He intended to build a road going drivers car and fitted the high port head etc so I needed to refocus his work on creating an original long door car. It will be driven but as I have another TR2 as my daily driver I can make this car into an original TR2 with all its foibles. 

A significant time drain has been getting things like slot headed screws etc as nearly everything nowadays is philips head. I have found one place in Sydney, a fair way from me, that has a selection of such items. A lot of bits like flasher units etc are available from Moss although many items are TR3A and different to a TR2.

I get a lot of support from our members out here and the TR Register UK and this website has been a godsend. I have made a few friends on here, obtained invaluable advice and even located a suitable pair of 1 1/2" SUs from a TR Register UK member. 

13 hours ago, John McCormack said:

I was fortunate Stan to buy a car the previous owner had started restoring properly. He had replaced the floors etc and got most of the gaps right.

He intended to build a road going drivers car and fitted the high port head etc so I needed to refocus his work on creating an original long door car. It will be driven but as I have another TR2 as my daily driver I can make this car into an original TR2 with all its foibles. 

A significant time drain has been getting things like slot headed screws etc as nearly everything nowadays is philips head. I have found one place in Sydney, a fair way from me, that has a selection of such items. A lot of bits like flasher units etc are available from Moss although many items are TR3A and different to a TR2.

I get a lot of support from our members out here and the TR Register UK and this website has been a godsend. I have made a few friends on here, obtained invaluable advice and even located a suitable pair of 1 1/2" SUs from a TR Register UK member. 

Its funny how after a multi-year resto project we may have solved the problems of rotted sheet metal and missing trim but struggle finding slotted head screws. I did really well except for the screws for the scuttle vent escutcheon. I fitted the equivalent chromed phillips head screws just to get it attached figuring I can always swap them later if and when the correct screws show up.

Could not agree more about the value of the forum and the help we get.

Stan

I was glad for the chance to see the project up close and personal recently John and pleased to hear the steady progress continues, your attention to getting  it just right is laudable. We got home early Tuesday morning, I got a good sleep on the 14 hour leg from Singapore so am still fresh, accounting for me still being up at 01.15 Wednesday morning!

2 hours ago, tim hunt said:

I was glad for the chance to see the project up close and personal recently John and pleased to hear the steady progress continues, your attention to getting  it just right is laudable. We got home early Tuesday morning, I got a good sleep on the 14 hour leg from Singapore so am still fresh, accounting for me still being up at 01.15 Wednesday morning!

Hi Tim, It was our pleasure to host you and Sue while you were out here in Oz. Maybe one day we can catch up in the UK.

13 hours ago, foster461 said:

Its funny how after a multi-year resto project we may have solved the problems of rotted sheet metal and missing trim but struggle finding slotted head screws. I did really well except for the screws for the scuttle vent escutcheon. I fitted the equivalent chromed phillips head screws just to get it attached figuring I can always swap them later if and when the correct screws show up.

Could not agree more about the value of the forum and the help we get.

Stan

Stan, I might have a pair of scuttle vent screws if you are still looking. 

PM me if interested. 

Rgds Ian