Front Bumper Curiosity?

Attached is 2 photographs, the first is of what I'm told is a repro bumper which I stupidly had re-plated before noticing is was warped :wacko:.  The second photo is of what I'm told is an original for a 1972 CP car. Note the difference in the mounting brackets, the repro bumper sits much closer to the body where the original protrudes about 1" further from the body. Which one is correct? I've just spent £400 on re-chroming the original, so even if it's not correct, it's going on the car.

I've also noticed the original brackets are boxed where the repro isn't.

Your thought please....

Richard.

Repro.jpg

Original.jpg

2 hours ago, Richard71 said:

Attached is 2 photographs, the first is of what I'm told is a repro bumper which I stupidly had re-plated before noticing is was warped :wacko:.  The second photo is of what I'm told is an original for a 1972 CP car. Note the difference in the mounting brackets, the repro bumper sits much closer to the body where the original protrudes about 1" further from the body. Which one is correct? I've just spent £400 on re-chroming the original, so even if it's not correct, it's going on the car.

I've also noticed the original brackets are boxed where the repro isn't.

Your thought please....

Richard.

Repro.jpg

Original.jpg

The OEM original had to pass the USA impact test which I think was originally 5 MPH then it went to 10 MPH so the post 72 cars have even heaver brackets and a larger stand off from the front valence.

Bruce,

Hi Richard,

The first photo is correct for a CP TR6 it sits higher, you cannot get your finger between the indicator light unit and bumper. The one below is from 1973, CR series. This one sits lower also as you say it is boxed in, whereas the CP one is open.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Dave from Spain

Hi Richard, as Dave says,  the one you have had rechromed is an Original CP Bumper ( brackets not boxed in ) and later bumpers had boxed in brackets.

I don't think I have ever seen a repro one, so can't comment there  !

Conrad.

56 minutes ago, tr graham said:

Richard

be aware that the side bolts will probably not line up with the wings 

graham

Thanks Graham,

The side bolts on the wing lined up okay, however the brackets are a little out. So as I'll have to loosen the brackets on the chassis, I've just removed them completely for cleaning & painting, I'm funny that way, maybe it's OCD? :unsure:.

Richard.