Removing Engine using a two post lift

Previously I have removed the engine from my using and engine crane and trolley jack at the rear, as per the workshop manual.  The engine and transmission is a long assembly to get out of such a short bonnet aperture.

As I need to install new bump stops in the front struts I am proposing to remove engine and gear box by lifting the car up off the engine.  What is the recommended process to do this successfully apart from removing all pipes and wire etc?

I've never heard of it being removed this way, take plenty of pictures and make sure to describe it on your post, that could be useful.

Mick Richards

I've also never heard of this method for the TR7. I've removed several and always used the procedure you mentioned by raising the rear end.

But You have said that you've removed the subframe in earlier posts, if that's still not in place it could in theory work quite easily. Provided of course, if you have the means to raise the car.

Be interested to hear how that one goes!

The normal method of dragging the engine and box out upwards has always been a curse for me.

I have removed the engine and box in the usual manner many times. I always seem to catch/damage something. 

I am sure I have seen pictures of the factory fitting complete subframe with engines and gearboxes by dropping the body on top.

Effectively no different to what you are suggesting really, just upside down.

I have used this method to remove the complete subframe and suspension assembly out of my 7 V8 although minus engine and gearbox which I had removed by the usual method.

With all components disconnected as  necessary I slackened the subframe bolts, gearbox mounts and removed suspension mounting nuts at the top of the suspension towers.

I  attached the engine hoist to the front bumper mounting points and lifted the shell enough to start to take the weight of the engine /box assy.

Subframe bolts and gearbox mountings removed, support rear of gearbox. 

I had the front wheels still attached.

Continue to lift the body.

Once high enough I propped the shell on old wheels to remove the hoist and gain access in order to drag the subframe out on a dolly.

Alternatively if you have some burly mates they can take a wheel arch each and wheel the shell backwards out of the way.

Good luck.

David

This is a much easier way if you are intending on pulling off all the suspension and everything.

It would have been how they were fitted in the first place anyway.

Cheers

Ian

You're right, I've always scratched or damaged something lifting it out. Don't know why I didn't try this idea!

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm... given that I have the front suspension and subframe off mine anyway, and the car two feet off the ground on a lift, I might consider it, as I was debating renovating the gearbox, or certainly replacing the clutch, rather than regretting not doing it later. At present it's only held by one mounting (side) and the gearbox is untouched and still attached to the propshaft.

So: propshaft off, support everything, and is it just the rear gearbox mounting that's left to remove? Anything on the inside need to come out, bar the gearknob?