Tr6 hardtop

Hello John,

The PO of my TR6 (VUX) fitted one and, whilst I can see the attraction, in my opinion it doesn't 't look right on the square line of the 6 so it came off sharpish (along with those chrome wires and that 'wheelbarrow' exhaust system) - plus, if ST thought it suited the 6 lines they would have offered the 'Surrey' as an option.

Edit: you'll need to change the windscreen capping for that of the TR5 if you go that way.

VUX at the PO's house in Seaham (Nr Newcastle) fitted with the Surrey Top and centre laced wire wheels.

VUX at the PO's house in Seaham (Nr Newcastle) fitted with the Surrey Top and centre laced wire wheels.

Cheers, Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith

I fitted the honeybourne rear back light to my last 2 TR6 cars. Appreciate they are not to everyone's taste but I think they look great and the difference to wind turbulence in the cabin is startling. I highly recommend them. You can change the windscreen capping or use the Revington TR style H frame that utilises the TR6 capping.

Please feel free to ask any further questions as I am now on my third HM backlight but this one for a TR5. 

If you want, HM will supply without window and seals so you can paint it body colour and then fit seal and window. I live 15 miles away so it was easy for me logistically. 

Colin

20170820_160252 (1).jpg

As Colin states, not to everyones taste, but I can see the advantage of less turbulence and still being able to drive with open roof.

The factory hardtop is nicer (to me), but does bot have that advantage.

Colin,

is it a straight fit and is it “watertight”?

How do the door windows match?

Thanks,

Waldi

Hi Waldi,

Providing you have the windscreen angle correct the fitment is straightforward and as leak tight as a standard soft top. As Andrew has stated, the windscreen capping is different. Revington TR do a unique H frame that fits onto the TR6 soft top header rail and locks on as per standard soft top levers. However, you have to remove the header rail from your soft top frame (grind off 2 large rivets) or get an old Spitfire MK1V frame.

If you want to drive in comfort over 50 mph the Surrey conversion is fantastic. I repeat it's not for everybody.

Colin

On 2/17/2019 at 10:22 AM, Andrew Smith said:

Hello John,

The PO of my TR6 (VUX) fitted one and, whilst I can see the attraction, in my opinion it doesn't 't look right on the square line of the 6 so it came off sharpish (along with those chrome wires and that 'wheelbarrow' exhaust system) - plus, if ST thought it suited the 6 lines they would have offered the 'Surrey' as an option.

Edit: you'll need to change the windscreen capping for that of the TR5 if you go that way.

Cheers, Andrew

I agree with Andrew that the wires and twin exhaust do not suit a TR6, but the Surrey backlight looks good to me and better than the square looking one-piece hardtop many are fitted with.

I also think the hood looks out of place on a TR6 from the rear/side view.

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

If you are OK with the looks ( on a TR6 ) the Michelotti  hardtop delivers much by way of wind buffeting reduction, ~ 70% I'd say, roof off with windows up. Personally, I think the TR6 hardtop is better suited to it, all squared off like the body below it. The prototype TR6 pictured above is a TR4A in mockup; nothing I've read suggests TRIUMPH ever intended that top for TR6 production, and I reckon the antiquated and tedious Surrey top design didn't help that prospect ( think side curtains ).

Having enjoyed the benefits for 25 years I can't imagine doing without. The driving experience is transformed, much less tiring on longer drives. Factory kits make the cockpit noticeably more rigid, don't know if the plastic ones do. On Michelotti TRs they are La Piece de Resistance aesthetically.

The Honeybourne backlight is obvious for it's recessed glass placement - wonder why they did that. Notably absent is the stainless rear trim, a beast to replicate ( haven't heard of anyone doing this yet ).

IMO factory kits are still available for reasonable money ( considering they're made of five pressings and four castings! ). TRIUMPH EXPERIENCE site has a couple just now.

Cheers,

Tom 

NewXWX.JPG

Agreed Tom, the hardtop shown by Stuart just happened to be fitted to the 4A sent to Karmann and used as the mock up of the TR6. The attached photo dated 17th April 1968 shows Triumph's original prototype hardtop ironically fitted to a 4A with the Karmann TR6 in the background. There was also a rumoured Michelotti hardtop design for the TR6 however it wasn't liked for whatever reason and photographs of it don't seem to have surfaced anywhere yet.  I'm of the same opinion of a few other respondents to Johns query that the Michelotti styled top on the TR6 is an acquired taste however everyone to their own and there are quite a few conversions around so obviously the style is liked by those who want the option of having a removable section surrey top which to get back to John's original query must fit the TR6.

cheers

Derek

74128 TR6 hardtop.jpg

• 4 years later...

Reviving this old thread:
We drive a TR6 with factory hard top, for comfort reasons, we like going abroad with the TR (picture below is from August '23).
"We" ;) are now considering buying a TR5/250 with surrey top and metal roof.
How do both set-ups compare for noise, vibrations?

Cheers,
Waldi
3b465822-022e-4368-b170-6fcca15c9ca4.thumb.jpg.9dbdd29e55f93b0c7be58cdb9e2195f3.jpg

Hi Waldi,

the steel hard top on my TR4A surrey transforms the car from an airy racing  machine to a machine with  less air and noise.

It does improve the comfort level quite nicely.

In the Summer you have the convertible feel and in the Winter you have the enclosed protection from  the weather.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Hi Roger,

thank you. 
I want to double check that a surrey top (with metal roof) is comparable (comfort/noise) with a TR6 factory hard top.

Off course you mention another advantage: being able to easily drive without the roof on.

Best regards,
Waldi

Honeyborne mouldings  surrey top on my hill climb 6

Very happy and very easy to fit

IMG_0113.jpg

Thank you both.

Hi Miles,

I have not rejected the surrey on my TR6, is was just that they are hard and expensive to find.

If (ever) I can find a decent TR5/250, I will off course fit a Surrey top.

Cheers,
Waldi

Hi Waldi

Interesting question. I have TR6 which I put a hard top on in the winter and a TR4 with a surrey top with canvas and metal tops. Both hard tops make the car much more comfortable when using the cars during the winter, especially if they've got a good headlining. As you'll know from your TR6 the hardtop tightens up the car and reduces shake and noise, the rear screen and hardtop on the surrey do similar.

However to my mind the surrey top comes into it's own in the summer when the rear windscreen makes it pleasant and much more draft free when travelling fast on motorways. 

Dave

Here's and alternative solution on my 6. Standard hardtop with a webasto. It works a treat. 

Tim

20230611_181230.jpg

Thank you all 

I’m convinced now, there is no good reason why I shouldn’t buy a TR5/250, with surrey top:)

Plan is to sell the TR6 once the new baby has prooven to be a good driver.

I’m still searching.
So far I have seen 2 cars, both supposed to be ivgc (Class 1), they both were just sprayed, nothing more.

Waldi

Hi Waldi,

If you get one with an alloy lid it won't add appreciable weight to the soft top standard version. It weighs 11 lbs and with the backlight comes in around 7-9 lbs more than the soft top assembly with its frame. I believe the TR4's quoted weight was the same with or without the hardtop. Add another 10 lbs for a steel lid. Either one is pretty easy to lift off/on the car.

Note also that very few original lids are in good condition unless they have been restored. The steel ones rust from condensation falling into the seams all round, having zero coating from new. The alloy ones have their threaded anchor points torn out as the original design is weak, especially in the rear. They can be well reinforced in a restoration however.

Congratulations on your choice; once you get a TR250 let us know if you want to bring it to CP performance on Webers :rolleyes:

Tom

Hi Tom,
the aluminium hard top would be nicest, but is very rare I understand. Even a complete set with steel roof is hard to get over here.

I am a bit afraid of importing a US TR250, never imported a car from the US, but price levels are attractive.

Off course I plan (in my dreams) to bring the car up to CP performance levels, maybe with EFI.
I have a set of throttle bodies ready for conversion.

Best regards,

Waldi