diff contact pattern for Marcus

Dave,

I'm no expert but from all I've read, the most important (and tricky) thing is setting the pinion at the correct height.  Once that is correct yes, the backlash needs to be correct as well but that is pretty straightforward as is the preload.  I suspect that you will find that the backlash will open up anyway once you start to put some miles on the diff and it runs itself in.  My exercise with the 3.45 CW&P set was the third time I've set up a diff.  The first was years ago with an Alfa Romeo and then more recently the 3.7 unit on my TR3a which was an old unit which I wasn't too bothered about if I got it wrong.  It took a long time to set up but ultimately I got a reasonable contact pattern and when I ran it, it was silent.  The only thing that I did notice was that it developed quite a lot of backlash at the pinion fairly quickly - approx 3mm either side or 6mm in total.  I put that down to insufficient preload and the unit bedding in because it was the original set with a lot of miles on it.  I suspect that if I had stripped the unit and tightened up the preload and backlash, it would then have stayed that way.

Before I started doing the 3.45 unit I equipped myself with a pinion depth gauge which enabled me to check the pinion depth much more easily and hopefully accurately.  It confirmed that I had got the 3.7 pinion at the right depth and gave me confidence to go ahead with my brand new 3.45 unit.

Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent
typos

they really look ok

the shinest bit t,me seems just below center,

as whenst car is actually going, it,ll move up,t cover all tooth

see diff frae a ne load pattern, it alters alott.

just for claritys mind, what did ye alter t,start of with  regarding pin height an cw shims

And, wots it run like int drill, thats also important, as a good contact pattern on a worn in diff,

dont mean much really,

its wot it runs quietest at

M