Just finished reading the Feb 2019 issue of Classic Cars magazine, when on almost the last page I come across this advert:

927790050_BCLadvert.thumb.jpg.51cebea9727deb683475388fd5af22e0.jpg  <-------------------

Note the photo half way up the right hand side, showing "Unique orange through the red lens conversion"

BCL do do a conversion similar to that shown (but orange is at the bottom, red at the top) The photo shown is of my car using my "unique" conversion as published in TRaction a few issues ago.   Here is my photograph of my car:  2083234528_TailFlash.thumb.JPG.f9ccdc38b56f29dd84b07311911de0a2.JPG    Looks familiar !!!!     One can only assume that the BCL conversion is not as good as this one or surely it would have been shown instead .

Miffed of Leatherhead.

Edited by Lebro
19 minutes ago, Pogo said:

Bob

I'd be sending them a strongly worded letter if I was you.

Roger

With a bill.

Stuart.

Bob,

Having been ripped off once or twice in the past I totally agree that they should not be doing it.

Maybe you should eMail them anonymously first and ask why the photo shows the colours reversed to what they supply, just to test the water, to see their explanation.

Be interesting to see their answer.

Charlie.

Starting point is breach of copyright of the creator of the photo unless permission granted for reproduction.

There may be something in your agreement with TRAction and in its pages which permits further reproduction.

If not, a politely worded request for a fee for permitted use might be an option.

On 2/12/2019 at 4:45 PM, MilesA said:

Starting point is breach of copyright of the creator of the photo unless permission granted for reproduction.

There may be something in your agreement with TRAction and in its pages which permits further reproduction.

If not, a politely worded request for a fee for permitted use might be an option.

The use of your photo is one thing Bob - not sure about agreements etc - but I would say at the very least they should have asked permission (from you or TRAction).

But surely another thing is that they are advertising something that isn't theirs? They are selling a unique product that is actually someone else's unique product. 

Rog

+1

Absolutely .....its your picture, but you may have lost copyright in assigning to Traction, but, they are making false claims about their lights on the basis of your design and performance! That is infringing your Intellectual property right( IP). As the creator/designer you automatically own this IP. Time for a firm letter to BCL......also requesting they dont copy your design.

Iain

Back when I made this design, I offered it to Gil (BCL) for him to run with if he wanted to - I knew that I could never produce them in any quantity.

Just to clear up one fact, I sent him that photo to show him how my design looked on the car. I also sent him one example to test for himself.

He did ask me to quote him to make 100 off - that was never going to happen !

Then several months later his new design (quite different, much cheaper to make, & inferior) appeared on the website, with my picture demonstating it !!!

I did take it up with Gil, but he said that I had given him permission to use my photos.

This was because before any of this I had purchased a set of dashboard lights from BCL, taken photos of the result, & sent them to Gil. He asked if he could use them in his adverts, I was pleased to say yes.   AS THEY WERE HIS PRODUCT.

Anyway suffice to say I don't buy anything from BCL these days, as apart from the above his prices are way over the top.

classicarleds do a much better deal (no connection) for mostly the same products.

Probably time to put this one to bed now.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

Bob,

This whole thread has made me smile as I had something similar happen with a photo (taken by my son) that I sent to the Register for possible use as a front cover only to see it being used in TR Register advert about twelve months later.  To be fair to Wayne, when I pointed out that I hadn't given him copyright on the image for general use, he agreed to pay my son a nominal sum for it.  I guess if you send someone images you need to be explicit about what it can be used for.

Rgds Ian