Useful travelling spares list

Matt,

This is what I packed for a 3 week 3,200 mile road trip to France in 2012 (and didn't need any of it) and will repack for a week 3,600 mile tour of Spain, SofF and Italy in June.

Edit: just found this very useful info by Roger Ferris (TR5 Registrar) in a file:  

Cheers, Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith
10 hours ago, Matt1969 said:

I am doing the Osnabruck trip this summer in my new to me Tr6. Is there a list of recommended spares to travel with? No doubt asked before, but not easy to search. Thanks. Matt

Hi Matt,

welcome to the forum.

As your car is new to you, you need to get some miles on it in this country to make sure it all stays in one piece.

When you are driving along listen for any changes in noises or noise level. Investigate any oddities.

Mobile phone and breakdown insurance details.

As per above lists

A road map so you know where you are to inform the services.

Anything that can be changed by the roadside is worth having - spark plugs, coil, Dizzy Doc rotor Arm and Capacitor or electronic module, Dizzy cap and leads,

Radweld, spare oil, light bulbs, electrical tape, electrical connectors and various length so of electrical cable    etc etc.

If you are on  along tour some heavy items may be useful as spares are not always available but how long is a piece of string.

Actually a piece of string may be useful. 

Roger

14 hours ago, Matt1969 said:

I am doing the Osnabruck trip this summer in my new to me Tr6. Is there a list of recommended spares to travel with? No doubt asked before, but not easy to search. Thanks. Matt

Osnabruck is a city here in Germany.....are you coming to Germany ?? Or what is this Osnabruck Trip ?

Jochem

Hi,

I too am going to the 50th anniversary  celebrations of the TR6 in Osnabrück,  N.Germany in May in my TR6 This is what I usually carry in my boot. It fits in the spare wheel. From my home in Spain it will be about 4200 KMS return. I am also going to the TR Register, Spain meeting in Pamplona probably about 900 KMS return.

Dave from sunny Spain

ATR-6O-K-Boot.jpg

Having done several 4000km+ trips including Melbourne to Perth, I would add a couple of items to the excellent lists above. Instead of a wheel brace, I carry a breaker bar with a short extension and the correct sockets to change wheels. The bar reduces the strain on your back.  I have alloy wheels on the car with a steel spare, and they have different wheel nuts. I also carry a speed brace to remove and replace the nuts after loosening with the bar.

Another crucial addition is a couple of pairs of gloves. I have black ones with rubber facings and fabric backs. They are protective but thin enough to allow you to handle nuts and bolts. Very good for protecting the leather steering wheel after you have worked on the car.

Matt,

I have done a few foreign trips and other than little minor issues that can be sorted, it is amazing how well things go. However, I had a stub axle fail on the autoroute in France on the way to last year’s LeMan Classic. Being a 5 day trip did not give time to get spares and fit them. My salvation was breakdown cover with DAS through my TRR insurance. The best £40 for a years cover I have ever spent. Yes you deal with call centre staff who are used to breakdowns where the caller has no idea what’s wrong and use a script to talk to you, but with perseverance and a laid back approach, you get a good service. My car was returned on a transporter 10 days later and I was able to jump in a fellow members car to get back to England.

Don’t  worry too much about what might go wrong and just ensure you have recovery if all else fails.

Mike

95D42F88-44F7-40E0-BFE4-4888868D6537.jpeg

Hi Mike,

In the early 2000's a rear bearing started to fail on my 4A during a Scottish tour..

The noise grew steadily louder but the wheel was not a bout to drop off. I limped home to London.

Fitted a refurb'd hub :o.

At my next autojumble I picked up another refurb'd hub and stuck it in the boot.

In 2006 on a drive to Germany my chum in a TR5 had a rear hub problem (the big nut kept undoing)

He was about to give up and go home (middle of France). I suggested changing the hub. 

'Where will I get another hub in the middle of France' he said  " in my boot" I said.  2 hours later we were heading off to Germany.

Never fit refurb'd hubs - ever

Roger 

Here is a list of things I recommend for our sidescreen owners when travelling away from home. 

On a 5,000km trip to and around Tasmania in 2017 I used one of my condensors but did keep 5 other cars going with my bits. Last year on a 4,000km run to Adelaide I didn't use anything. But it was reassuring knowing I could fix the main types of failures if I needed to.

While you always help out a car in distress I get a bit annoyed at people who carry noting and rely on others when the proverbial hits the fan.

TR TOURING SPARESv2.docx

Hi

Osnabrück, from memory is where Karmen was located, the ones who designed the body of the TR6.

Z320 - what is the event?  Can you post details on it please as its a possible nice drive from Denmark.

Rich

1 hour ago, Andrew Smith said:

Rich,

Why not join the TR Register, you'll be kept up to date with all what's going on then?

Cheers, Andrew

Hi

I am in the TR club of Denmark and the Triumph Club of Denmark currently.  I must admit I feel a bit bad to not give back to the TR register as this forum for me has been a lifesaver on owning my car and also I have met some wonderfully helpful people.  I think if I was in UK I would join in a heartbeat but if I do from over here its more for appreciation of the support of this forum.

Does this make sense?

Rich

Hi Rich,

many of our international forum friends join the TRR simply because of the help, advice and virtual friendship on offer. 

Most of the time they receive no substantial benefit other than above.

However Denmark is only a stones throw across the North sea. If ever you came here for a short or long touring holiday you would be amongst friends for real.

Many UK members travel to Europe and are treated well by our hosts.

Roger

Hi

You are most right Roger  . .and I think I will join!  It is a stones throw as you say but now you have to drive all the way to Holland.  The overnight Esbjerg ferry stopped 5+ years ago which is a great loss.  Seems they could not compete with Ryanair and the busy lifestyle people now want.

Rich

1 hour ago, Andrew Smith said:

Rich,

you'll be kept up to date with all what's going on then?

Interesting. I'm a member but I do not receive any communication about events by email (or any other means). The only emails I get are from the forum when someone quotes or responds to my topics. Have I not ticked a box somewhere?

Rich,

I’m an overseas member (Holland). As an overseas member there is little benefit of a membership to be honest.

The magazine is nice, but does not too much technical articles, which is my primary area of interest. This is not meant as critisism, just my observation and personal opinion.

Main reason for me to be a member is the great technical forum, and the contribution is my payback. Almost every issue you encounter was experienced and solved before, so help is just a few clicks away.

And I have met a couple of fine people in person that I learnt to know on this forum.

Waldi

Matt,

My approach to spares is based on availability if I break down. My theory is that antifreeze, oil and petrol is usually available everywhere in Europe within a 10 mile radius, water probably within a mile. Any breakdown service you call out will carry some sort of a useable spark plug, ignition coil, plug leads, brake fluid, wire, relay etc.

A set of bulbs are mandatory in most countries, along with triangle and yellow vests. A roll of gaffer tape, a box of disposable gloves an old pair of jeans and a tatty shirt you don't mind getting oily.

What you would have trouble finding and perhaps should consider carrying would be car specifics, probably not available in the country your are travelling in, such as distributor cap, a spare injector or two if your car is a PI, ignition points or a spare electronic module, fan belt. Silicone hydraulic fluid if you use it might be hard to source locally.

Anything serious then I always advocate carrying an emergency kit of one bottle red wine, one bottle white wine, two glasses and corkscrew. If you breakdown and weather is cold you call breakdown services and open white wine whist awaiting recovery. If weather (and wine) is warm then you call breakdown services and open red wine whilst awaiting recovery, simple and stress free.

Alan

Alan: I like that approach.  The only spare item I've ever used during 30,000+ miles of TR driving in the UK and Europe has been a fuse.  The fuse was needed because the original fuse (for the electric fan) had fallen out of its holder and was lost somewhere.  I now have a different , more secure fuse holder.  Fan doesn't get used much but on this occasion was essential - stick in a lunchtime traffic jam in Provence.  Not an insurmountable problem, just embarrassing.

Comfort comes from breakdown/recovery insurance.

4 hours ago, SeanF said:

Interesting. I'm a member but I do not receive any communication about events by email (or any other means). The only emails I get are from the forum when someone quotes or responds to my topics. Have I not ticked a box somewhere?

Sean, you probably need to update your profile settings. 

Go to your profile Icon, top rhs of screen

got to 

Notifications

Tick the top box....email me with news.

Iain

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:03 PM, dave-lewis said:

Hi,

I too am going to the 50th anniversary  celebrations of the TR6 in Osnabrück,  N.Germany in May in my TR6 This is what I usually carry in my boot. It fits in the spare wheel. From my home in Spain it will be about 4200 KMS return. I am also going to the TR Register, Spain meeting in Pamplona probably about 900 KMS return.

Dave from sunny Spain

ATR-6O-K-Boot.jpg

That's very Impressive!

This Thread cast my old mind back to 1972 when I drove my CP Pi from North London to Barcelona (to go to the Grand Prix) as my car had only done about 20,000 miles it never occurred to the then young me that I needed anything other than the factory tool roll! After all in 1971 my old 1962 TR4 did the same trip without any bothers. Lucas Pump overheating saw me at the side of the road several times with the pump off cleaning the commitator (can't even spell it!) and finding a cunning way to hold the points back with cotton thread! Makes my arms ache just thinking about driving all that way on Route Nationals...I struggle to contemplate driving it to the shops these days!

Edited by CP26309
additional info.