TR6 Road Wheel Changes

Hi All

I have a March 1969 TR6 with 72 spoke wires, but am looking to replace with standard steel rims for the restoration.

I believe there was a change point for the road wheel but not sure of the chassis number involved. If there was a change how can the differences be identified visually, and are the earlier rims ( if my information is correct) a decent option? Did the early TR6 have rostyle trims, and are the centre embellishers the same throughout the range or did they change also?

Many thanks for any info..

Regards

Kevin

Kevin,

As I understand it, very early TR6’s had quite a few carry over parts from the 5 including the dummy Rostyle hubcaps although I have to say that in 40 years of TR ownership I don’t ever recall seeing one. 

The steel wheels on the CP series car which yours is, had black wheel centres and would have been 15” x 5.5 J wide. On the later post 73 CR series cars, the wheel centres were silver to match the rim colour. I believe that a change to 6J (6”) wide rims was also incorporated but without going out to the workshop to check mine (1974) I couldn’t say for sure. The size is stamped on the wheel rim  

As the previous poster indicated,  you will need to change the shorter wire wheel spinner securing studs for the longer ones required to receive the appropriate wheel nuts. 

A very easy modification in either direction on TRs. Most other popular classics are far more involved. MGB for example has a different axle altogether. 

Mike 

21 minutes ago, Mike Herlihy said:

Kevin,

As I understand it, very early TR6’s had quite a few carry over parts from the 5 including the dummy Rostyle hubcaps although I have to say that in 40 years of TR ownership I don’t ever recall seeing one. 

The steel wheels on the CP series car which yours is, had black wheel centres and would have been 15” x 5.5 J wide. On the later post 73 CR series cars, the wheel centres were silver to match the rim colour. I believe that a change to 6J (6”) wide rims was also incorporated but without going out to the workshop to check mine (1974) I couldn’t say for sure. The size is stamped on the wheel rim  

As the previous poster indicated,  you will need to change the shorter wire wheel spinner securing studs for the longer ones required to receive the appropriate wheel nuts. 

A very easy modification in either direction on TRs. Most other popular classics are far more involved. MGB for example has a different axle altogether. 

Mike 

Hi Mike 

Thanks for the info, I believe I have the correct centres ( as photo) and if the change point wasn’t until ‘73 I’ve got a good chance of picking up a set of 5 1/2 J wheels. I would assume the black centres will fit 6J rims also? Did they not update the font on the TR6 logo?

I wasn’t a great fan of the Rostyle trims on the TR’s even though I appreciate they are a rare item in good condition. They were better suited to the PI saloons I thought.

Regards 

Kevin

654AD461-8D3F-42F4-891E-57087786C545.jpeg

Hi Kevin,

This probably isn't what you want to read!:ph34r:

'The 1969 model can be readily identified by having rostyle wheel trim covers...

...the 1970 model year ...wheels with a black centre trim...

...In late 1972 the revised CR /CF series was introduced. ...chrome strips on the front grille, wheels with a grey centre trim' - from TR6 Register Buyer's guide

Pete

9 minutes ago, Peter S said:

Hi Kevin,

This probably isn't what you want to read!:ph34r:

'The 1969 model can be readily identified by having rostyle wheel trim covers...

...the 1970 model year ...wheels with a black centre trim...

...In late 1972 the revised CR /CF series was introduced. ...chrome strips on the front grille, wheels with a grey centre trim' - from TR6 Register Buyer's guide

Pete

Thanks Pete

Time to put OCD purism to one side then in that case perhaps!

Funnily enough I'm not keen on wires on the TR6 even though I have and like them on my TR4a, and on all other TR's (except the 7), so I'll probably go for a compromise and settle on the 1970 spec.It's near enough!

Kevin

Kevin,

Yes those would be the correct wheel centres for a CP series car. The font on my later wheel centres looks the same.  If you have to buy studs, wheel nuts etc you’ll need the plastic collars that clip over the wheel nuts. These apply gentle pressure on to the plastic centre springs preventing rattles. Many years ago now I bought a set of stainless steel wheelnuts from one of the regular suppliers. Once buffed up  on the bench polisher they were indistinguishable from chrome and no splitting off of the plating when you apply a socket. 

Very much personal  but tend to agree with you. The Michelotti bodied cars look absolutely right with wires. The 6’s less so as the design is so much sharper. Spend some of my retired time these days helping at a chums Classic car business. He has a customer with an immaculate Stag but it has wires. Somehow I’m not sure..........!

Mike

2 hours ago, heckler said:

Hi.   For info ,  wires  were optional on the six up until may 73 .Early six steel wheels were not welded all the way round .From cp 50001 there were 15 cooling  holes instead of 12.               Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks for the info..looks like the later wheels will be a better option. As Mike has suggested I wonder if CP50001 was the change point from 5 1/2 to 6J also? 

Regards

Kevin

• 1 month later...

Hi Kevin

+1 for stainless steel wheel nuts. 

Also, be aware that the repro small springs for the small spigots on the back of the plastic embellisher may actually have too small an ID to fit! I eventually got a batch from Revington that fitted. 

Cheers

Steve

Hi all,

I have a few wheels the ones fitted to my current six which shows the part number and wheel size and others which I assume are not stamped. Also stamped is F6D and  another, Dunlop logo and 981

I would assume that it was on later CR series TR6.

Kind Regards,

Dave from a sunny Spain

1525683270_TR6wheel.thumb.jpg.c424843121abd13f47e8a6214ed5d54c.jpg

On 4/3/2019 at 10:35 AM, michaeljf said:

Hello Kevin, The early TR6 also had 3 long "studs"to hold the rostyle hubcaps as per my spare wheel with it's red band Goodyear G800 185R15. Regards,Michael.

I can confirm that my early USA TR6 (CC25332 L, Oct 1968) had 5 1/2 J wheels with the three studs for the Rostyle trim location, but no trims with it, when I bought it in 1997.

Dave McD

Edited by Dave McDonald
  • 5 weeks later...

Hello,nothing wrong with the scissor jack that comes with the car (or a good copy of it,I also have a geared one in my Toyota Coaster Bus)and they work very well.Regards,Michael.

• 1 year later...

Hi Kevin, I have a ‘73 CR. I don’t mind silver wheel centres, but am also going ‘off-spec’, with black centre caps, using a satin black paint. I just think it looks better, providing a contrast (though I accept that this is entirely personal. One thing I would say is that Tyre choice is important. I fitted Pirelli 165 x 15 CA67’s as per factory. The PO had fitted 195 x 15’s. I have been very pleasantly surprised at the difference. Lighter low speed steering and much more progressive handling. Just a thought.