Cancer risk from welding

I don't want to worry anyone, but received the following from HSE: 

"There is new scientific evidence from the International Agency for Research on Cancer that exposure to mild steel welding fume can cause lung cancer and possibly kidney cancer in humans.

The Workplace Health Expert Committee has endorsed the reclassification of mild steel welding fume as a human carcinogen.

With immediate effect, there is a strengthening of HSE’s enforcement expectation for all welding fume, including mild steel welding; because general ventilation does not achieve the necessary control."

Pete

Good thing to know, but it's also good to appreciate the difference between occupational levels of exposure and those of a hobbyist. 

Here in the States, we often see scare pieces that cite OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) studies about this or that causing cancer.  When you actually look at the study, the levels of exposure involved are usually vastly beyond anything an occasional tinkerer would see.

Obviously, if you weld for a living, take it seriously.

Edited by ed_h
14 hours ago, stillp said:

I don't want to worry anyone, but received the following from HSE: 

"There is new scientific evidence from the International Agency for Research on Cancer that exposure to mild steel welding fume can cause lung cancer and possibly kidney cancer in humans.

The Workplace Health Expert Committee has endorsed the reclassification of mild steel welding fume as a human carcinogen.

With immediate effect, there is a strengthening of HSE’s enforcement expectation for all welding fume, including mild steel welding; because general ventilation does not achieve the necessary control."

Pete

Hi Pete,

there is also a risk from the arc itself. It produces UV and this can and will affect the skin.

Always keep covered up and use a full face mask - not goggles.

Roger

I’m sure that some people will say that it is impossible, but I once got “arc eye” simply by being in a small white painted room where someone was welding. A mate was welding up a trailer and I made sure that I ALWAYS had my back to him, thinking that as long as I did not look at the arc I’d be OK. I was in the room for about half an hour.

That night I had the most horrendous discomfort in my eyes. It felt like someone was pouring hot sand onto my eyeballs. Eyes open or closed made no difference. I suffered all night and part of the next day.

I guess that the reflections from the arc via the white walls did it.

You have been warned…

Charlie

5 hours ago, Charlie D said:

I’m sure that some people will say that it is impossible, but I once got “arc eye” simply by being in a small white painted room where someone was welding. A mate was welding up a trailer and I made sure that I ALWAYS had my back to him, thinking that as long as I did not look at the arc I’d be OK. I was in the room for about half an hour.

That night I had the most horrendous discomfort in my eyes. It felt like someone was pouring hot sand onto my eyeballs. Eyes open or closed made no difference. I suffered all night and part of the next day.

I guess that the reflections from the arc via the white walls did it.

You have been warned…

Charlie

Yep, been there, done that...

Also had the flu-like symptoms from welding zinc-coated steel.

Pete