New guy here

Hi Lee your in the right place. Just need to post the details and wait for the TR4 experts to answer your question.

I guess today might be quiet with many going to Stoneleigh to grab a bargain or just natter with mates. :-)

Iain

Just now, iain said:

Hi Lee your in the right place. Just need to post the details and wait for the TR4 experts to answer your question.

I guess today might be quiet with many going to Stoneleigh to grab a bargain or just natter with mates. :-)

Iain

Thanks Ian for the reply very excited about this but I’m a new guy so steep learning curve I don’t know what colour the car was originally or the trim or hood colour if it is in fact a 1964 should I post the chassis number in here ?

Hi Lee

welcome

if you haven’t already I suggest you join the TR Register ( the club as opposed to just being a user on the forum) 

this should unlock lots of details about your car from the tr4 register if listed. This should give you the build info you are looking for. 

As a member you can also discuss things in a more secure members only forum called Alec’s inn. 

It will also give you access to lots of online technical publications. 

Worth considering for £47

https://www.tr-registershop.co.uk/membership-application-with-family-member-9986-p.asp

H

Hello New Guy Lee and a very warm welcome. The TR Register has registrars that maintain records and cover all of the TR range. The TR4 Registrar is Jon Marshall and you can find his contact info on the TR Register main page Contact tab.

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/contact

Just scroll down to the Registrars section.

Pictures of projects always appreciated.

Stan

Edited by foster461

Hi Lee,

welcome again.

As mentioned above - consider joining the TR Register - lots of help etc.  

Where about do you live - there may be a local group on your door step.

Have you got a log book etc with the car OR has it got the commission plate - inside the engine bay on the bulkhead above the passengers footwell.

This will have a number like  CT XXXXX         

if it is/was LHD then there will be a 'L' after the above.

If it has overdrive it will have an  'O' after the above

God choice of car.  Ask as many questions as you like

Roger    

22 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Lee,

welcome again.

As mentioned above - consider joining the TR Register - lots of help etc.  

Where about do you live - there may be a local group on your door step.

Have you got a log book etc with the car OR has it got the commission plate - inside the engine bay on the bulkhead above the passengers footwell.

This will have a number like  CT XXXXX         

if it is/was LHD then there will be a 'L' after the above.

If it has overdrive it will have an  'O' after the above

God choice of car.  Ask as many questions as you like

Roger    

Hi yes all I have is the ct number and body number even if I could confirm the year it would be a start it is a left hooker no o/d on plate imported from the us it has a white dash could that be right for a supposedly 1964 I was under the impression that was changed to wood in 1963 oh and I live near Cheddar in Somerset home of-the cheese

Hi Lee

you have three groups down your way Somerset TR's, Brunel and Glavon   https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/axles-differentials/rear-axle-tr5-6.html  all good folk.

All the TR4's had white metal dash's. Some US ones had a wood dash but not too common.

My 1962 TR4 is CT6272.   You could work on 1000 cars a month and see where that takes you.

You can get a heritage certificate for your car     https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/archive/heritage-certificates

this will give you quite a lot of info.

Roger

On 2/10/2019 at 5:55 PM, Tr4 Lee said:

Thanks roger mine is 

ct27355

27600 ct 

make any sense to you 

lee

Lee 

My 20th April 64 ( build date ) TR4 has a chassis number CT 321** so it may be yours is right on the cusp of '63 to '64. The engine number was running approx 400 units ahead.

Hope this helps

cheers

Rich

Can I also mention my 1964 TR4 with chassis number CT 316** with a build date of 4th April 1964.

RobG

Edited by RobG

Lee 

For info, Rob's and my car were built 16/17 days apart  - can't be more accurate as we don't have the actual timings! The difference between our chassis numbers is 513 units, so that represents between 30 and 32 cars per day.

I reckon, assuming a fairly constant production, which would have been affected by the Christmas break, your car was probably built in either October or November 1964 

Be really interesting to see how far out we are when you get your heritage certificate.

Cheers 

Rich

7 hours ago, rcreweread said:

Lee 

For info, Rob's and my car were built 16/17 days apart  - can't be more accurate as we don't have the actual timings! The difference between our chassis numbers is 513 units, so that represents between 30 and 32 cars per day.

I reckon, assuming a fairly constant production, which would have been affected by the Christmas break, your car was probably built in either October or November 1964 

Be really interesting to see how far out we are when you get your heritage certificate.

Cheers 

Rich

Hi rich 

thanks for the reply if my number is CT27355 and yours is CT316## mine would have been buil befor yours is that right if so roughly that’s about143 days so as per  your post above did you mean my car could have been October or nowember 1963 

if it was October or November 1964 then the chassis number doesn’t tie up 

do you get what I’m trying to say or am I reading it all wrong 

Edited by Tr4 Lee

Lee,

Yes I see where you going with this.

If Rich chassis was say 31650 and you are 27355 then diff is 4295, divide that by 30 a day = 143 days - as per your post.

143 days being 4 to 5 months so tracking back from April gives November ish  1963, rather than 1964.

Could be typo and Lee meant October or November 1963, not 1964 ?

RobG

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys quick update got the certificate today 

it was built November 18 th 1963 

original colour was signal red for me that’s the best news car is black now but I wanted to do it red anyway now it’s nice to know if I do it red it will be as it left the factory 

thanks for all the replies 

lee

On 2/23/2019 at 2:13 PM, Tr4 Lee said:

Well guys quick update got the certificate today 

it was built November 18 th 1963 

original colour was signal red for me that’s the best news car is black now but I wanted to do it red anyway now it’s nice to know if I do it red it will be as it left the factory 

thanks for all the replies 

lee

That sounds right.  Certainly in the USA they tend to "age" cars by the "model year" which I think is at least partially based on when it is first registered.  For example, my car was built on October 3rd, 1961 but it is officially referred to as a 1962 car (not by me, btw).

I'm glad you have the information and restoring to original colour is also good - but only if you want to!!

Make sure you keep posting here as it progresses.

Cheers,

Tim