Where to source double lipped oil seals?

I am looking for double lipped oil seals for the diff output shafts. I recently replaced leaky seals with new ones but they still leak, so I am hoping that double lip seals might reduce or even stop the leak. I have been trying to source them in the UK but so far I have had no luck. I am awaiting an email back from Eriks, but otherwise I have drawn a blank. 

I can find the in America but the postage is expensive and could take a while  to arrive. I wanted to sort it asap while the car is still up in the air.

Can anyone advise where I might be able to get 1"5/8 x 2"1/8 x 1/4" seals, preferably R22 type (double lip, double sprung).

Many thanks

I always believed the double-lipped seals had a sleeve facing each direction to keep two liquids apart, that is they are not able to have two bites of the cherry with liquid on one side.

Isn't it possible to fit a speedi-sleeve to the shaft which gives a high quality surface for a "standard" oil seal to run against?

Alan

Hi GJL,

are you referring to item #56  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/clutch-transmission-drivetrain/axles-differentials/rear-axle-tr5-6.html

it seals onto item 60 (flange)

These normally work very well.   Examine the seal surface for wear or pitting on the steel surface.

I do not think a double seal will work well as you will still only have one lip doing the sealing.

Is item 60 - flange, secure.

Roger

Thanks for all the replies. 

The flange is secure, so perhaps the shaft surface is not great. By the sounds of it a double lipped seal wont really improve the situation if they are designed to keep 2 fluids apart which now I think about it makes perfect sense, the seal will work from either outer face.

I was also thinking about the fact that the seals seem narrow and that there could be room for 2 (luckily I ordered spares). With the new seal having a bit of leeway I tried to fit it in a slightly different position to the last one so it was running on a new point on the shaft. I cleaned the shaft up with emery for a nice smooth surface but perhaps, in hindsight the original position was better. I will strip it again and see what I can do. It may be that a speedisleeve is the way to go.

Thanks again for the replies. I will update you in a week or so when I have time to look into it again.

Seals generally only work with the  top of the " U" facing the fluid so that when it is pressurized it will seal harder against the shaft. The only time I have installed a double faced seal was in a Nissan Patrol transfer box- where fluid could flow in either direction between the transfer and main gearboxes.

If the diff output shafts are in good condition with no play you could have been sold old seals which have hardened with age.

the  rubber seals, 2 can be fitted easily int seal housing.

helps seal agenst  a worn half shaft.

If its worn wid a  ringed groove, then alter position of seal if just us,n yan seal

butt, if the  wear is alot, thru rusting pits,

then an olde type leather seal is quite good.

as its wider, so acts on moer surface

esp if ye ..squash.. the seal up a wee bit using some sockets the reet size

M