TR3A oddity recently sold on eBay

Hello all,

Just spotted eBay item 233021501476. (I’ve just checked and because it is a completed item searching using the item number does not work. But if you search for “TRIUMPH TR3A ROADSTER FULLY RESTORED” and click on “Completed items” it will come up.)

First, it seems to have been sold for a low price (Twice...) , but that may just be one of those things, or maybe I don't really know what things go for.

More interestingly I can’t figure out the bonnet catch arrangement.
Take a look at the under bonnet picture. At the front there is a bonnet catch similar to a 4 rather than a 3A, same with the “Safety catch” part slightly to the right. Was this ever standard? Even the bonnet stay is different.

Also, there is what looks like a very short brake hose going from the engine to the bulkhead, just to the right of number 4 spark plug. (To Oil pressure gauge?)

And, just to the right of the starter solenoid is what looks like a speedo cable connector, joining on to something.

Just curious what it is all about.
Any ideas?

Charlie.

Direct link here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-TR3A-ROADSTER-FULLY-RESTORED-/233021501476?hash=item364129f024%3Ag%3ADFMAAOSw~k9b5ZzD&nma=true&si=EVDP1Bf%2B252xvmk6Prb1y7%2BFVZ8%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Its a bitsa by the looks of it with no visible chassis plates at all and a low port engine with H4 carbs and a fuel system that looks very dodgy. TR2 Sidescreens etc.Chassis has had lots of welding. Distinct possibility it may have been a South African import judging by the mix of bits.. Looks like an Irish number plate too.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Panel gaps are terrible, paint job looks awful, (painted over rust) gearbox looks non standard, Not sure about being South African as they all had aero screen mounts but I suppose they could have been covered up. Definitely a Bitsa, someone has bought it, good luck with that.  Cheers, Bill. 

30 minutes ago, TomMull said:

Not really that odd. Hagerty shows it valued at $11600 ( £8949) in fair condition (#4) and "bidding has ended on this item"  does not necessarily mean sold.

Tom

Hagerty values mean nothing this side of the pond Im afraid Tom.

Stuart.

Stuart, thanks for the proper link.

-----

It was the bonnet catch that most intrigued me.

It was also a bit odd that it had “Sold” 10 days earlier, but was relisted. (The first sale had the words “Near concourse condition in the title.” Hmmmmm.....). I know this happens, but something felt not quite right about it.

If you look up the eBay username of the seller on Google, and go into the threads on the Jenson owners club and the BMW5 forum, (and possibly some others that are not a direct link to his adverts on eBay) you get some interesting background on his car buying and selling activities. It is claimed that shill bidding is a common practice in his auctions, and offering a "Second chance" offer to the next inline because the winning bidder did not pay.

Charlie.

The boot gap is all wrong too you can see the drain hole. 

But then the boot handle is not in the locked position. 

But then I suppose anybody could pick mine to pieces. And I’m very happy with mine. 

H

On 2/8/2019 at 9:52 AM, stuart said:

Hagerty values mean nothing this side of the pond Im afraid Tom.

Stuart.

I'm not sure they are all that meaningful here either but they do reflect some sales history and if Hagerty's data do not reflect international sales, then they are remiss in this day and age of worldwide markets for almost everything. 

Tom