TR4a 3rd Gear Issue

Evening All

Has anyone had experience of jumping out of third gear under acceleration on a TR4a. I wouldn’t have thought 3rd gear would’ve worn enough to jump out especially as the synchromesh seems fine. When I reinstalled the gear lever and spring after having the box out I noticed how it was not quite so notchy and stiff to engage as previously but noticed the issue on the next trip now and again (RBRR where something like this might show up) where it would jump out. I took the opportunity of blaming my co-driver for resting his hand on it, but it has since done this a couple of times when I’ve been driving, so belated apologies!

The lever does clear the alloy console housing when engaged and I can’t imagine removing and replacing the gear lever alone would have any effect on gear selection. Any one have experience of this ?

Regards

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

Try removing ALL gaiters and driving the car with it "naked" to ensure the gaiter isn't being nipped or preventing the gearstick full movement.

Mick Richards

13 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Try removing ALL gaiters and driving the car with it "naked" to ensure the gaiter isn't being nipped or preventing the gearstick full movement.

Mick Richards

Thanks Mick

You had me worried there for a minute ! - I thought that was a new technique I hadn't come across!! ..but yes good point I'd forgotten there were two gaiters and that could well be worth a try and quite possible it's not seated properly. 

I'll give that a go over the weekend and report back.

regards

Kevin 

Kevin - hopefully Mick's advice will do the trick - however I had this problem on my TR4 box, which I consequently had rebuilt by Pete Cox. He told me that this was a recognised problem which seems to defy logic/inspection but the only way to guarantee curing it is to replace the affected gearcluster - I'm sure he said that something had been changed in the manufacture of the new gears to improve matters and that these gears are now available, again(??).

I haven't been able to try the new box because I put in a Stag unit with a 28% overdrive - made a big positive difference , as it happens.

Cheers

Rich

3 hours ago, rcreweread said:

Kevin - hopefully Mick's advice will do the trick - however I had this problem on my TR4 box, which I consequently had rebuilt by Pete Cox. He told me that this was a recognised problem which seems to defy logic/inspection but the only way to guarantee curing it is to replace the affected gearcluster - I'm sure he said that something had been changed in the manufacture of the new gears to improve matters and that these gears are now available, again(??).

I haven't been able to try the new box because I put in a Stag unit with a 28% overdrive - made a big positive difference , as it happens.

Cheers

Rich

Hi Rich

Sounds like it's a known issue then though perhaps not a common one? I'll try Mick's option, but failing that it looks like box overhaul. Do you have any experience of reproduction gears, and do they work properly and last?

Your Stag box conversion is an interesting one.

Kevin

Kevin

I couldn't honestly proffer an opinion on modern day gears, as I don't have any direct experience, apart from the fact that we have all heard of horror stories regarding poor quality control from time to time, which do eventually get sorted. However there is no reason why, with the modern technology available, current day gearbox components shouldn't be at least as good as their old counterparts, especially if properly specified.

I'll ask Pete Cox as I will be seeing him this weekend when I pick up some boxes he has refurbished for me - if you find you need to do an overhaul, give me a call, as I have a selection of different specs of box and ODs , including Stag ones.

Cheers

Rich

1 hour ago, rcreweread said:

Kevin

I couldn't honestly proffer an opinion on modern day gears, as I don't have any direct experience, apart from the fact that we have all heard of horror stories regarding poor quality control from time to time, which do eventually get sorted. However there is no reason why, with the modern technology available, current day gearbox components shouldn't be at least as good as their old counterparts, especially if properly specified.

I'll ask Pete Cox as I will be seeing him this weekend when I pick up some boxes he has refurbished for me - if you find you need to do an overhaul, give me a call, as I have a selection of different specs of box and ODs , including Stag ones.

Cheers

Rich

Thanks Rich, it'll be interesting to hear his comments.

Regards

Kevin