Chinese puzzle - window seal strip clips

Can't find the answer to this with a search so sorry if its been asked before.  But does anyone know how to get the silly little clips into place that secure the rubber weather strips along the tops of the doors that stop water going between the window and the door?  I've got the clips and a 'tool' that Rimmers supplied.  It looks like a bent piece of tin and for the life of me I can't see how it works.  The spring clips are sprung shut and have to be opened enough to go over the internal lip of the door and the bottom of the rubber strip. - and then clipped from the far side.   I assumed the tool would hold them open so you can get them in place but I've clearly failed the intelligence test here. Oh and the window is in the way of most of the area anyway and won't wind down clear.  Did Triumph do this deliberately just to drive owners mad?????

When i replaced the weatherseals and clips i ‘made’ a tool out of an inch wide piece of steel bent over into a u shape to cradle the clip

the technique seemed to be to cradle the clip in the tool and lift up around the door/trim, then holding the trim steady a firm pull up on the tool secured the clip (sometimes!)

hth

steve

Edited by Steves_TR6

A bit of bluetack in the cradle of the tool helps to stop the clip slipping out and annoying you further.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats the tool that Rimmers sent me but it was virtually useless as when you pull up the clip it tends to force it shut.  I've now solved the problem by bending the V shape into a U that merely holds the clip.  I also just tease the clip open a little with a screwdriver first so that it has the slightest chance of going over the door flange and the rubber.  You have to be careful though as its quite easy to overdo it and snap the clip in half.

Sound like the RAD is to tight on the Rimmers version. Using a none rimmer version in the past I have had to hold the clips in the V with bluetack.

Some WD40 or soap on the strip also helps. 

The clips are a pain when they drop off the took and disappear inside the door.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

That's why you always keep a magnetic pickup tool handy.

The tool should cradle the clip, but allow it to open sufficiently to grip the door and rubber, without dropping off.

• 3 months later...