1955 TR2 Temp' gauge sender

Take it all off as one put in the vice apply some heat and cold cycles, plenty of diesel with a plasticine reservoir, patience and days later it might let go:-)

Iain

Having just done this I feel I can speak with some authority. To be honest it depends how badly it is corroded in. You must be very careful about applying heat to the housing. To clamp it so it will hold in a position means using the weaker parts of the housing.

I made a mixture of brake fluid, automatic transmission fluid and soaked it for about a week and applied heat and shock treatment. Unfortunately this did not work it was so badly corroded.

In my view I suggest that you use a probe to scrape deposits from round the threads that are visible and try the soaking treatment and when you try the undoing process prepare blocks to support the housing and suggest that you scrap the capilliary tube so you can get a socket with an impact wrench.

If all else fails drill out the capilliary and then use a tiny burr in a Dremel and cut the remaining material almost to the threads and remove stumps. You have to then fit an adapter for the thermostat bulb but at least you have the finished and original housing.

I am working on the "twin" housing which was so bad that it had corroded so bad it was through the outer skin. The exit tubes were also corroded down to half thickness and length. I have no idea what the hell is in the water in Hawaii but it is toxic to the material. DAN please note use distilled water in future.

I have nearly finished the restoration of Dan's early TR 2 one and it will hopefully get refitted where it belongs and last a good few years. I have not counted the hours spent but it is a few but worth the end result.

Will post some pics of the finished item on completion.

Rod

Mmm, this is beginning to sound like a rear spring bush epic. As I will be buying a new gauge complete with capillary tube, can I just drill the brass union out( with respect to the threads in the housing) sounds easier than risking damaging the housing. Got me thinking about sticking the thing into the top hose as per 'leccy fan thermo switch. Is that feasible ?

Thanks for replies so far.

The easiest solution is to remove the original fitting, by what ever means you can preserving the thread in the housing. Then purchase an adaptor bush from Revington that allows easy removal of the new capillary sender unit. The technique I described above works if you are patient as Rod says don’t overheat, but it took quit a few days of heating cooling and picking out the calcified deposits and dosing in diesel. Patience as my grandmother said is a virtue :-)

The useful adaptor from Revington is RTR8155

43A060D2-170D-4F8A-AEEF-5F21F0657083.png

That adaptor fitting looks useful to me as well!  I am gonna throw in a big thank you to Rod B., who has undertaken not only to get my frozen capillary tube fitting sorted, but to renovate the entire double thermostat housing with near-fatal corrosion.  That is what this club is really about, and I hope I can pay it forward myself sometime.

Cheers

Dan