Aldi has it's Trickle battery chargers in, 3 years warranty for £12.99, buy on line if you like.

Mick Richards 

+1

Thank you Mick, just ordered one.

Slightly confusing description though.
It says:

“Perfect for keeping in your car for when disaster strikes,”

So, I come back to the railway station, after a day out, get into my car, and find the battery flat (Disaster !!!)

I’ve kept the battery charger in the car (as recommended), but how does it help me?

Am I missing something or has the Aldi copywriter used a sentence from the description of a jump starter?

Charlie D.

33 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

+1

Thank you Mick, just ordered one.

Slightly confusing description though.
It says:

So, I come back to the railway station, after a day out, get into my car, and find the battery flat (Disaster !!!)

I’ve kept the battery charger in the car (as recommended), but how does it help me?

Am I missing something or has the Aldi copywriter used a sentence from the description of a jump starter?

Charlie D.

Quite correct Charlie, the prose has been copy pasted from previous offerings, it cannot jump start, but in your description given above you could plug it into the mains and adjourn to the buffet bar for some hours whilst you await it building the charge up lol. 

Mick Richards

I’ve been using one for a few years. Keeps the battery in good condition. 

H

1 hour ago, Charlie D said:

My Lidl charger won't charge a battery showing below some minimum voltage threshold. So, even if you were near a mains socket ...

28 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

adjourn to the buffet bar for some hours

... and a bar, it may not help you. I have another not quite so intelligent charger which does charge from zero-volts to get me out of trouble in such situations.

Many intelligent chargers - especially the higher power ones - have this minimum voltage lock-out. Partly because of the risk of generating hydrogen and oxygen in just the right ratio, and partly because the battery will have suffered damage and be on borrowed time after such a deep discharge.

Cheers, Richard

When SWMBO left her car overnight last autumn with ignition ON, my multimeter showed battery at 5.6V next morning, but my 55 year-old charger managed to recharge the battery in 24 hours.  I imagine that this old charger has a selenium rectifier and it manages a mighty 1.5 amps - but it does the job and always has.

Ian Cornish