TR6 Pi Fuel Pipe Routing

May well have been posted many times before but hey ho.

Having gone to the effort of spending billions of pounds on a new chassis, rebuilding the engine etc etc etc, I now want my fuel pipes routed the correct way they would have done so when it left the factory. I need information of the correct factory style routing (ideally photos for your cars) from the T Piece up to the Metering Unit

Many Thanks

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

After looking at John 1973 TR6 (photos above) and cheers John for this a couple of wheels ago then asking TRGB what there thought were on the routing of the pipes for a January 1969 TR6. They were compliantly different to each other. Like John's one, my fuel pipe used to come down from the boot and behind the drive shaft then under the drive shaft to where it was meant to go along the chassis. TRGB said ealry ones are ment to go over the top of the drive shalf along the boot panel and then down. They were very good with sending me photos of this too. I've just brought a new fuel pipe kit from Moss which turned out to be a two piece kit for TR5 and early TR6, and it stated on the box the PRV should be chassis mounted for an early TR6, however mine was located in the boot.

So what to do for the best to make it historically correct. Should the PRV be in the boot on a January '69 built car or should it be on the chassis and where about on the chassis should it be mounted? And again with the fuel pipe routing around the boot to chassis area, who's correct after looking a club members car most seem to be the way John's one is, but is that correct for a very early build TR6?

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve,

my August registered 69 had all it’s P.I. system ripped out and replaced with carbs, I assumed the prv was located in the boot area due to holes in the body were it would have been originally located. My chassis also as the bracket on the inner rear leg  where I also assumed it would have be located externally . I purchased all brake,fuel and clutch pipe kits from Automec for specific 69 year car. Once fitted they allowed the prv to be located in the boot.

No idea which way it should have been done, mine now resides in the boot.

Good luck with the build .

Mark.

PS your new chassis may not have the external bracket.

Hi Mark,

I know the bracket your on about on the chassis, and it does have it on the new chassis too.

When I brought my 6 it had been converted in the 1980's to carb. When I brought it in 2009 I reverted it back to Pi, and just guessed the location was correct in the boot, as per all other TR6's. But now with this time doing it, I want it to be where it should be correct for very early '69 build car

Cheers

Steve

My Feb 1970 PI has the PRV in the boot area, next to the fuel tank left side. The car has a Bosch pump conversion but I can't see that the PRV and its connections would have been moved.

On 2/4/2019 at 11:47 PM, jah said:

Steve

These were copied of the original steel pipes. But this is a 73 so may be different.

John

IMG_20170304_150019.jpg

IMG_20170304_150028.jpg

Hi Steve

Although my fuel pipes run is as shown in your photo and my car is a 73 face lift car. If I was to replace the existing pipe run, I would run the pipes on the other side of the chassis member because in my view running the pipes beside the exhaust pipes is nor a good idea when using cupro- nickel pipes which have a very high neat transfer rate to heat up the petrol flowing through them. With steel pipes it is much lower?

Bruce.

40 minutes ago, CP26309 said:

Stuart, I know the TR5 had it's PRV mounted on the chassis as per your picture, but my (CP26309) 69 TR6 came with it in the boot next to the tank. was there an update to the boot during the early productions of the 6 perhaps?

Yours would have the PRV in the boot but would still be the early short bodied PRV.

Stuart.

Unless your mad about absolute originality I'd put it into the boot where its out of harms way from muck, salt, potential damage and easy to get at if required most likely why it got moved by triumph after a short time in production. Mine is an early PI and its going in the boot!    

I have to say that I'm surprised that some early 1969 TR6 have PRV originally mounted on the chassis. The Triumph Press Release for the TR6 dated 14th January 1969 makes note of the detail alterations made to the siting of the pressure relief valve and piping as being mounted adjacent to the petrol pump in the boot and thus being protected from damage.  There are also no amendment sheets to the parts books issued to accommodate any changes to the pipework that would be required if any TR6 had been built with the PRV on the chassis and the TR6PI Workshop manual supplement also issued in early 1969 has a photo of the PRV alongside the fuel pump.

cheers

Derek 

Cheers chaps this is all excellent info. I've been on the blower to both Colin at CTM and Malcolm at Prestige and both say that I should keep the PRV in the boot. Although I do try to keep with originality wherever practically possible, Its mostly photos of around the floor pan to chassis on the nearside rear that I need, there just a lack of info out there. Malcolm did say ignore what Triumph did and make it work, keeping it out of the way of everything for maintenance purposes. As he knows his onions very well I'll probably follow his advise and run the pipe from the PRV in the boot along the floor pan, over the drive shalf and spring and then down. But to help others who are curious on the topic, including myself, may as well continue with the thread. Has anyone got any good factory photos of this bit of the pipe I'm talking about

Cheers

Steve

14 hours ago, steved69tr6 said:

Cheers chaps this is all excellent info. I've been on the blower to both Colin at CTM and Malcolm at Prestige and both say that I should keep the PRV in the boot. Although I do try to keep with originality wherever practically possible, Its mostly photos of around the floor pan to chassis on the nearside rear that I need, there just a lack of info out there. Malcolm did say ignore what Triumph did and make it work, keeping it out of the way of everything for maintenance purposes. As he knows his onions very well I'll probably follow his advise and run the pipe from the PRV in the boot along the floor pan, over the drive shalf and spring and then down. But to help others who are curious on the topic, including myself, may as well continue with the thread. Has anyone got any good factory photos of this bit of the pipe I'm talking about

Cheers

Steve

You would be better off running it down behind the shock bridge and down to the chassis and then forward for ease of access and maintenance.

Stuart.

• 11 months later...

I am also rebuilding my 6 from bare chassis. Both the workshop manual and Moss catalogue (part number 148945, page 69) show a connecting hose a short way back from the metering unit, where the 3 pipes run alongside the chassis, towards the rear of the car. My replacement fuel pipe kit has a continuous length of copper pipe for the return fuel pipe only. Is this connecting hose necessary, as I cannot think of any reason for it apart from potentially being a source of fuel leakage? I don’t see this connector on the nice pictures of John’s chassis.

looking forward to your responses

kind regards

Richard

14 hours ago, RJB said:

I am also rebuilding my 6 from bare chassis. Both the workshop manual and Moss catalogue (part number 148945, page 69) show a connecting hose a short way back from the metering unit, where the 3 pipes run alongside the chassis, towards the rear of the car. My replacement fuel pipe kit has a continuous length of copper pipe for the return fuel pipe only. Is this connecting hose necessary, as I cannot think of any reason for it apart from potentially being a source of fuel leakage? I don’t see this connector on the nice pictures of John’s chassis.

looking forward to your responses

kind regards

Richard

If you look at the pipe you will see that with the shape of it you wont fit it in one piece due to the way it runs through the chassis webs. There is hardly any pressure of fuel running back there and most of its connections front ad back are push fit anyway.

Stuart.

When I installed Pi on my Vitesse, there was no factory plan to copy, and anyway, I was doing it with the body on., and passing pipes to safe locations involved some convolutions, which meant that continuous lengths were impossible.   To join lengths, I therefore used compression fittings from my local hardware (B&Q), which have provided completely leak free service ever since.

J.