Coil Spring Rates?

Hi all, my TR6 was restored in the 90s and I assume the coil springs are standard. The car rides OK and I have GAZ adjustable shocks all round, though the rear springs have a coating of rust the more protected raers are nice and black and shiny! I acquired a set of springs some years ago that I have never fitted and was wondering whether to use or sell them on. They are I believe standard height but uprated, with the standard part numbers painted on the top of the coils (213165 F and 216275 R) They are black but colour coded: front blue/white stripe and rear green/yellow stripe. I think the fronts are 390 rated but can't find out the rears. Anyone an idea on identifying the ratings and whether I should fit them?

Hi Phil

Could  the rears be by Revingtons "650lb/in 81/4" (210mm)free length. Application TR2-6 Front. Coded with one YELLOW and one GREEN stripe.Modified Hillclimb, very Fast Road, and Race. These springs are offered in various lengths, as vehicle weight will influence ride height." The part numbers are also listed by Rimmers but are for standard springs with green marks to both sets. 

John

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 9:57 AM, tr6fan said:

Hi all, my TR6 was restored in the 90s and I assume the coil springs are standard. The car rides OK and I have GAZ adjustable shocks all round, though the rear springs have a coating of rust the more protected raers are nice and black and shiny! I acquired a set of springs some years ago that I have never fitted and was wondering whether to use or sell them on. They are I believe standard height but uprated, with the standard part numbers painted on the top of the coils (213165 F and 216275 R) They are black but colour coded: front blue/white stripe and rear green/yellow stripe. I think the fronts are 390 rated but can't find out the rears. Anyone an idea on identifying the ratings and whether I should fit them?

Hi Phil,

My old SAH/Triumph Tune book says the following: front B/W 390 lbs/ins, free length 6.70", fitted length 6.65". Rear G/Y 420lbs/ins", 8.85" free length, 8.65" fitted. They are both uprated springs! In my view, a good choice, as Triumph uprated the rear sprigs at least 3 times during the production life of the car and it was always upwards in lbs /ins". The difference in ride height is only a 10th of an ins" less than standard and cuts down the front pointing to the sky under hard acceleration and less spring whine up of rear springs..

Bruce.