sound deadening

Hi everyone,

Just wondered, where and to what extent you are putting sound deadening down in a full car rebuild, ie are people just doing the floors, or would you also recommend up the fire wall  and over the rear wheel arches, boot etc    

Just unsure how far to go with sound deadening on a clean rebuild.

cheers

8 hours ago, kiwi-jim said:

Hi everyone,

Just wondered, where and to what extent you are putting sound deadening down in a full car rebuild, ie are people just doing the floors, or would you also recommend up the fire wall  and over the rear wheel arches, boot etc    

Just unsure how far to go with sound deadening on a clean rebuild.

cheers

Hi Jim,

any flat space that does not require upholstery or affects visual appearance.

Floors, front bulkhead, door panels.

The bonnet would benefit but may look iffy after some use. Also same for boot lid.

Roger

Thanks everyone. Stuart the photos are particularly helpful.  Cheers 

Only my opinion but although placing sound deadening in specific areas will stop drumming and reduce some external sounds; to have the best overall effect you need to cover a complete area, ie the whole of the floor, no gaps. I used the same material as many of the custom car fraternity and high end restorers, Aston’s et al which Dynamat. Easy to cut and fit and  waterproof as well. Cuts out a lot of road/tyre noise even with hood down. There are similar materials available which work nearly as well but Dynamat always comes out top in tests and often comes up on Amazon and eBay at a reasonable price.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 1:24 PM, stuart said:

Sorry to resurrect this thread but Iain reminded me of it. 

Stuart would your product be suitable for a TR3a hardtop as it needs to stick and cope with a wide temp variation. 

My own eBay searching came up with this stuff as they rave about the glue.

Also would the whole inside surface of the hardtop need treating or just the large centre panel area ?

Silent Coat 2mm 4 Sheets Car Van Deadening Vibration Sound Proofing Damping Mat https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F161525970631

TBH I would use this stuff (stuck on using the glue listed below it) https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/1384/sound-deadening-feltand then a head lining like the one illustrated in the picture.

Stuart.

patrickstr2 004.jpg

Edited by stuart