TR6 clutches, again. ( Borg Beck )

I have been told that the Borg Beck clutch for the TR6 is now being made by another manufacturer, and that they are not what they once were. Is this true, and if so is there a good alternative in todays market? Any advise would be welcome.

Thank you. Russell

Hi Russell,

Moss (and the others ) do B&B in two pressures 400 & 535lbs.

I have one in my 4A and works perfectly.

B&B haven't been B&B for sometime now. They have gone through a number of 'take overs'

Roger

Hi Russel,

one of the issues with the “new” B&B was related to the smaller number of rivets in the plate, which resulted in fractures. If you search the forum you will find it.

Waldi 

Thank you all so far, interesting. Any additional advise with regards to operating pressure ( 400 or 535 lbs ) would be helpful. Also, given Waldi's comment re the small number of rivets/fracture, would the higher pressure be detrimental ?

Russell

1 hour ago, Waldi said:

Hi Russel,

one of the issues with the “new” B&B was related to the smaller number of rivets in the plate, which resulted in fractures. If you search the forum you will find it.

Waldi 

Hi Waldi,

that problem was a couple of years back and I am sure it got resolved.  There haven't been any recent (2 or 3 years) reports of failure.

Hi Russell,

the higher pressure is for the more powerful engine - PI 150BHP etc.  Not sure what it does to the foot comfort.

Roger

Force of the PP is overcome via the leverage of the diaphragm spring; this must vary between mfrs. who have chosen their respective tradeoffs between leverage and stroke ( less stroke, more leverage and vice versa ).

TRF's Magic Clutch kit comprises components from different mfrs. to give moderate pedal effort yet enough PP force to contend with at least 170 BHP ( my experience ).

Pedal effort is of particular interest due to our thrust washer sensibilities. PP force is great to have, but not if it comes with high pedal effort. I suggest high force, low pedal effort designs. SAKs seem to offer this type; these are used in the TRF kit.

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by Tom Fremont
5 hours ago, YOW500 said:

I have been told that the Borg Beck clutch for the TR6 is now being made by another manufacturer, and that they are not what they once were. Is this true, and if so is there a good alternative in todays market? Any advise would be welcome.

Thank you. Russell

The thing to remember is that Borg & Beck is a trade name only and owned by another company now. Their clutches are made in China I believe. There was a major problem with Repro B & B clutches where the original OEM ones had 16 rivets and the repro ones had eight. The friction material had a habit of coming off? I therefore have avoided this make! I went for a Raicam clutch who bought out AP clutches and manufacture here still in the UK. Their part number for a PI clutch kit is KT9665. Note: AP was also an OEM clutch supplier to BL. Also if your original clutch on your car was a Laycock get it rebuilt by somebody like Revington.

Bruce.

Bruce.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 10:24 AM, RogerH said:

Hi Russell,

Moss (and the others ) do B&B in two pressures 400 & 535lbs.

I have one in my 4A and works perfectly.

B&B haven't been B&B for sometime now. They have gone through a number of 'take overs'

Roger

Most odd. I now can't find the Moss page where it gave the pressure info for the covers.

Also Moss quote GCC228 for the TR6 (150bhp)  as a B&B.

They list the same part number (GCC228) for the TR4A at 100+bhp but is now a LAYCOCK.

somewhere they have got their numbers muddled.

Roger

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:55 AM, AarhusTr6 said:

Bruce

The web site for Raicam needs a Phd in computer science to operate . I found it but cant see a price.  Can you say what you paid please?

Rich

I have hunted around for the bill but at present I cannot locate it but it was not excessive at around £60 for the whole set up. The genuine RHP thrust bearing was obtained from a local bearing distributor for £20, it has many applications besides TR's. The other point to remember that BL changed the loading of the clutch cover a number of times and they started off on the TR5 with a TR4 cover!!!! I wonder how long that lasted?

Bruce.