Fitted L.E.D. tubes in my garage reception, less power consumption & brighter, but you need to buy them with the fitting.

Harvey S.Maitland

I have the complete LED fitments at home in the garage and the dog room, very good and lots of light from smaller fittings.

Stuart.

Last time I Checked with the electrical factors ( about 1yr ago ) direct replacement were not available but complete LED fittings were on sale at around £60. This may have changed now the new EU directive has come in phasing out halogen bulbs so now LED is the standard. 

Fitted a lot of LED fittings in the year before retirement and the difference was very noticeable both in improved light and power consumption.

Brian

fitted five of the 5'  twin type into my garage and although they use about the same energy (Fluorescent tubes are quite efficient) they are much brighter that a 6' twin fitting- or so it seems- and no losses at start up in cold conditions. They are ON at full brightness from the word go and there is no deterioration in light output as the fitting ages. I paid about £50 each on line.

For garage use what colour led does one select. They seem to be available in various shades of white and daylight ?!?

It's really a matter of taste.  For a living area, people usually prefer a warmer color, like 2700K or so.  For a garage, something cooler (but higher color temp, go figure) might look fine.

I'm not familiar with LED tubes, but I presume that like fluorescents they will have a "Colour Rendition Index" or CRI. If accurate colour - e.g. spraying - is what you need, then look for something with a CRI of say 98%. Daylight and incandescent bulbs are 100%. I imagine most fluorescents, and single LEDs too, will be 50% to 80%, something like that. My wife uses Sylvania Activa tubes in her antique furniture restoration workshop for the colour rendition (CRI=98).

Cheers, Richard

Gentlemen,

Please excuse my ignorance but can you fit an LED tube in a fluorescent light fitting and, if so, is it a straight remove old tube and fit new tube?

Graham

I have not done this (yet) but I suspect you may need to do some re-wiring inside the fitting to remove the parts which were needed to "start" the old tube.

I think all the LED tube would require is 240V direct across it. I stand to be corrected.

Bob.

Firstly, thanks to all the replies,

I had looked at you tube, and it seems the way to go.

It seems there are two types of LED, those that can in fact be used to simply replace an ordinary tube.

the other type requires simple internal wiring mods, to use, the type that will be in

new compete fittings, - wha tBob says.

My issue is that I have 5 x 6ft double fittings now, and it seems for the price of a 6ft replacement tube, either kind,

I can probobly buy a new 5ft double led fitting.

Thats is going to take quite awhile to recover those costs in a garage.

John.

John, I've fitted 4 of these as replacements for the double fluorescent's I had. Only did it within the last 12 months and they are a massive improvement - you don't realise how bad your existing lighting is until you upgrade to the new LED systems..I'm working on the bodywork most evenings and these have really made a difference for me.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-twin-led-batten-60w-5600lm-5ft/7223v