On 1/30/2019 at 4:55 PM, keith1948 said:

Just a few bits of advice fitting spot and fog lamps. There are regulations governing both their positioning and operation to be aware of in the UK. The first 3 lines below are from Halfords website regarding fog lamps

When fitting a pair of fog lamps you should obey the following legal requirements:

Fog lamps should be positioned symmetrically; the same height from the road and the same distance from the sides of the vehicle.

The lamps should be fitted so that their outer edges are no more than 400mm from the outer edge of the car. Maximum height above ground 1200mm.

Also:

Front and rear fog lamps are permitted to operate independently of any other lamps or ignition systems.

And:

Spotlights should go off when you dip the headlights (i.e. only operate when main beam lights are on) So wire them via a switched circuit via a relay connected to the main beam circuit.

Rear fog light lenses should be marked with the letter F if they are genuine rear fog lenses.

I remember having some problems working out where to fit 2 spots and 2 fogs on the front of my TR several years ago. I remember a lot of measuring to make their positions street legal. If I find the original info I'll post it. I can switch on the fog lights when the sidelights are on (i.e. independent of the headlights). The spotlights however only operate on main beam via the dip switch.

Keith

The wiring sounds sensible and very useful to me. Thanks, Keith.

From the MOT manual...

You only need to inspect:

front fog lamps fitted to vehicles first used on or after 1 March 2018

the 1 rear fog lamp which must be fitted to the centre or offside of vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980

This would suggest that any fog light fitted to any TR older than 1980 should not be inspected. 

As regards a single front "spot lamp" I can't see any direct reference. 

The manual seems to suggest that only "obligatory" lights are tested and the additional single lamp would not be included. 

Vehicle lighting regs may well be different. The above only applies to the MOT test.

Edited by spyder dryver
12 minutes ago, spyder dryver said:

From the MOT manual...

You only need to inspect:

front fog lamps fitted to vehicles first used on or after 1 March 2018

the 1 rear fog lamp which must be fitted to the centre or offside of vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1980

This would suggest that any fog light fitted to any TR older than 1980 should not be inspected. 

As regards a single front "spot lamp" I can't see any reference. 

I remember fitting a spot and a fog, big ones, and being taught to point one to curb, the other to highlight tarmac markings. 

These days, I'm wondering about getting strong lights for the new 3.

What to get? I see Holden sell smaller spot and fog, Halogens. Don't look the part, compared to my old Lucas 7s, but a third of the price. What's your advice, Spyyder?

Just now, spyder dryver said:

If I had a TR3 I would fit period lights, regardless of cost. You might also consider uprating the charging system.

Thanks, Spyder. The electrics are fed by an alternator. I learned my lesson first time around. Once I was saved by a RELIANT ROBIN humbling. I thumbed a lift and this lime green three wheeler pulled up, imagine.

16 hours ago, David Brancaleone said:

What to get? I see Holden sell smaller spot and fog, Halogens. Don't look the part, compared to my old Lucas 7s, but a third of the price.

Numerous original Lucas spot lights available on the Bay. Many comparable to (or less than) the cost of new repros.

1 hour ago, Deggers said:

Numerous original Lucas spot lights available on the Bay. Many comparable to (or less than) the cost of new repros.

I'm going to become very unpopular, Deggers,

but I saw these on Rimmer Bros. site. And can easily imagine 4 on a bar. €100 inc. VAT. Halogens. Won't rust, sturdy, what more do you (well, I) want?

I'm into practicality, not museum pieces, though I also love museums and what's in them.

Unfortuntely, can't seem to find identical design for fogs. Just searching at mo...

For OGB 800, a life ago, I bought the big 7-inch Lucas spot and fog. That was then. New man now.

Driving Lamps 8" Round Black c/w Grille (pair) - RX1512BP - Britpart
Rimmer Bros.
Part No.: RX1512BP
€50 for the pair.
https://rimmerbros.com/Category--Range-Rover-Car-Parts--m-13910

3 hours ago, TorontoTim said:

David,

I would also recommend feeding the lamps via relays.  Also, don't forget to make the earth wires as fat as the feed and with really good, clean earthing points.

Tim

DSC_0830_lowres.jpg

That is very kind of you. Thanks a lot. Very helpful. I like the set up with the Lucas 700s, is that what they're called? And the smaller lights. I think I shall go for a straight row of 4 halogens for offroad Landrovers. Black. And will follow all the advice. Electrics make me uncomfortable and don't want to upset them.

Edited by David Brancaleone