Hi Folks,

the other day a poster started a thread about a very rusty TR4(A) chassis and asked for comment on best way of treating the internal rusty box sections.

A number of members took the time and trouble to reply - basically saying not to waste the OP's time as it may well be too far gone.

Today the OP content got deleted followed a short while later by his (her) forum handle.

Now I believe the whole thread has gone.

What's going on.?

If he was going to use cardboard brake pads and got all the wrong replies - shouldn;t we have a concern.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

No idea!!!!!

Didn't realise it had been pulled........ Will ask the question :) 

Tom

1 hour ago, duncan said:

the number of posts the OP had made might be significant ?  was it their 1st or 2nd post ?

Yup

i suppose didn’t like the advice/safety concern that after OP got bucket fulls of rust out of the chassis it may be too far gone. 

Didnt know you could delete a whole post stream tho. 

I was just wondering where that post went. I dont recall anything antagonistic being said, just concern that a chassis that far gone may be beyond saving. As far as I know the only way to make your account and all your posts go poof is to contact a moderator.

Stan

Still no answer over 24 hours later?

As one of the posters on that thread,  I'm curious to know how my post got deleted without an explanation.

That’s the thing with the interweb 

“once it’s out there  and left .......“

if he was selling that car if I found that post in my searches about it I would ask

”so did you replace that chassis then ?.........”

1 hour ago, Hamish said:

That’s the thing with the interweb 

“once it’s out there  and left .......“

if he was selling that car if I found that post in my searches about it I would ask

”so did you replace that chassis then ?.........”

That is not the point though is it?

What  about the integrity of this forum and it’s helpful members?

By that post being deleted this forum is compromised regarding SAFETY.  

Who  will bother trusting this forum ever again if a safety critical post gets removed at the whim of a poster asking a question with such an obvious answer.

if he was embarrassed just his name and identity should have been removed.

This is the exact scenario I was concearned about when I asked that the research into the use of this forum is carried out in a statistically scientific way. 

This highlights the nature of some occasional posters on this forum and the nature of those who do a double take and think about the answers they may not like before they commit to posting here..

i hope this post will be taken into account when the research into the use of this forum is researched and discussed.

Hi Sue,

You make a fair point.  However, if the original poster deletes his own post, which we are all able to do of course, all the replies really have no direct value because they were referencing the original (talking about the OP's photos etc. - I'm assuming this because I didn't actually ever see the original post; it, and the thread, were removed before I got the chance!).  We'd be left with a thread saying "that's beyond saving" but without being able to see what "that" is.

I certainly think that a thread or posts on rusty chassis and what might be ok and safe to repair and what might not with examples, reasoning etc (just as were in that thread before the original post was removed) would be a very good idea.

Anyone got photos that they're happy to share to kick that off?

Cheers,

Tim

1 minute ago, stillp said:

Sod's law I suppose - a couple of days' inattention and something interesting happens - then gets pulled before I can read it!

Pete

That says it all, what is the point of this forum now?

As I recall it was someone doing a resto and had already had work done on the chassis. Thus had “invested”  in it. 

Then informed that “bucket full of rust had been removed” 

thus others suggested that the strength and integrity of the chassis was compromised where the eye doesn’t see. 

Calls were made for the OP to contact a well know chassis supplier. 

Im not sure if the individual car was ever identified as it was the OP first or second post. 

I sm not sure it is the roll of the forum to “police” rebuild standards. 

But yes the forum does have a point. It always has. It helps the users considerably as everyday human support in life, illness, death and car trouble. 

Hopefully we helped the OP make the right decision. They were just feeling bad about the question and reply. 

H

Edited by Hamish

Dangerous territory when you take responsibility for content.......4.3 should rule

4.2. TR Owners Club Limited (TR Register) reserves the right (but not the obligation) at its sole discretion to refuse, review edit, move or remove any content that is posted to, or available on, the Website without the need to give any reasons for doing so. However, TR Owners Club Limited (TR Register) will not review the materials that you or anyone else makes to the Website and therefore, unless we are specifically notified of the nature of any item of content, you cannot assume that TR Owners Club Limited (TR Register) is aware of it. If you object to the publication of any material placed on the Website please contact TR Owners Club Limited (TR Register) using the contact details shown in our Privacy Policy and we will take whatever action we deem appropriate.

4.3. TR Owners Club Limited (TR Register) accepts no responsibility for any statements, material or other submissions placed on our online forums by you or any third party, or for any loss or damage resulting from your breach of these Terms and Conditions.

Its too bad that he pulled the plug on the thread and got so pissed off that he had his account deleted. He could have said thanks for your concern, the area in the picture was the worst bit on the frame and it was all cut out and replaced etc. The combined wisdom of the forum participants is massive but it is a doubled edged sword. We can provide unparalleled expertise for repairing and restoring a TR but with that same experience we are drawn to anything iffy looking like a magnet.

I would encourage the OP to come back and continue what is probably going to be an interesting story.

Stan